Don't downgrade Colts for close wins over bad teams

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>JB in Houston is one of the AFC South Bliog's most loyal readers and mailbag contributors. His note Friday afternoon got me on a rant. As I've heard his Colts' question more than once, I thought I'd share our exchange.</p> <p><strong>JB:</strong> PK, missed the chat yesterday, real life got in the way again. Had a couple of questions, one came up after watching the game last night. 1) Since Jim Schwartz is likely moving on to be a head coach somewhere, what are the odds Gregg Williams comes back as DC? As I recall him and Fisher were close, and he obviously likes retro coordinators. 2) So how are the Colts, who struggled all year, struggled vs. the Lions, and struggled vs. a quitting Jags team all of a sudden a favorite? They easily could have been swept by the Texans. Finally, I went to the game last Sunday (still think he should have let Bironas kick, it wasn't gail force winds or anything), watched VY on the sidelines. When the defense is on the field he was huddled up w/Kerry, Simms, and the coaches, yet when the offense is on the field he stood alone as far away from the action as possible. It looks really bad on TV because they only show him when the O is out there, but in reality is isn't. Plus he wasn't in a parka. Thanks, -JB</p> <p><strong>Paul Kuharsky:</strong> I don't know that the Colts are favorites, but I am confused by the people who are somehow dismissing the Colts because they had to work hard to beat the Lions and Jaguars. Since when does how much you beat the worst team in the league by serve as the gauge of who's the best?</p> <p>I know I am stretching the point, but if we rate playoff caliber teams based on how they beat Detroit, here are the standings by point differential:</p> <p>Tennessee, 34<br clear="none" /> Tampa Bay, 18<br clear="none" /> Chicago, 15.5*<br clear="none" /> Atlanta, 13<br clear="none" /> Indianapolis, 10<br clear="none" /> Carolina, 9<br clear="none" /> Minnesota, 3*<br clear="none" /> *average from two games</p> <p>Shall we take that to Vegas?</p> <p>The Colts could lose their first game or go on a great run, and we should be questioning why they can't run it and why they couldn't tackle <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9646" shape="rect" target="_new">Maurice Jones-Drew</a> on so many carries. But I think it's a big mistake to say because they didn't roll Detroit or Jacksonville -- a division rival often puts up a good fight in a spoiler situation - Indianapolis isn't a threatening playoff team.<br clear="none" /> <br clear="none" /> The Titans destroyed Detroit. Do you feel that much better about them because of that game? Or does what the Jets and Houston did to them concern you? I'm guessing B. Let's look at the Colts losses in the last two months for a comparison. Oh, wait. There aren't any!<br clear="none" /> <br clear="none" /> You say they could have been swept by the Texans. I don't like to look at what could have happened. I always choose to look at what actually did happen.<br clear="none" /> <br clear="none" /> As for Gregg Williams: I'd rate him as a one-in-three chance to replace Schwartz if he leaves -- with two current members of Fisher's staff, Dave McGinnis and <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=7144" shape="rect" target="_new">Chuck Cecil</a>, also in the running.</p> <p>Thanks for the report on <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9589" shape="rect" target="_new">Vince Young</a>. I've tried to stop studying his sideline behavior.</p>

More...

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

... because you only watch what actually happens and not what could happen - loser

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar