Does Reese survive this?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm not reading anyone in the media asking why Reese isn't being held accountable for the Haynesworth and Pacman draft picks.

For years, the selection of Kevin Dyson over Randy Moss was said to be due to character issues. Reese's first-round selections since taking Dyson include Kearse, Bulluck, Haynesworth, Woolfolk and Jones.

Both Haynesworth and Jones had a few "incidents" in their college days which appear to have been either judged to not be big enough to cause alarm or were ignored.

How much should Reese be held accountable if two first draft choices among the last three are lost because of character issues?

2. arcticboy

arcticboy Guest

Personally - I think Reese has regreted not picking Moss. Dyse was ok, but I think with Moss, we would have won at least one superbowl between 1999-2003. Deep threat and big red zone target was a big missing piece during those winning years for us.

I think he should be somewhat accountable, but at some point it is out of their control how a player acts. I am more upset at the picks that have peformed poorly under his watch (Woolfolk, Calico, Laboy, Odom, etc...)

3. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Haynesworth has played in how many games in how many years, and he loses control for 30 seconds. I don't think you can put that on Reese. Pacman is a different story, because his involves off the field problems and discipline problems. As Fisher says, I can't go home with him every night. Signing these guys can be a crapshoot sometimes. You bring them in and try to make them aware of the consequences but it doesn't always work. These guys aren't angels, but they have to fly below the radar.

4. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

Fisher wanted them both............thats why. He told FR that if he lost Samari he had to have a press CB............Reese was considering Rolle but many scouts and Fish felt he would wind up a S and not a press CB...........so they went with Adam. Reese's neck is not on the block like the scouts and Fishers are over Adam selection. Reese is in trouble with Bud for not doing enough to uncover the kids skeletons..............and bud knows about all the other teams taking him off their boards.............he just found out post draft......................and since Adams draft now the team hires its own PI firm to do in depth backrounds and no longer uses a clearing house method.

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Reese seems to be better at negotitating contracts than evaluating talent

I am all for turning over personnel aquisition to Fisher and leaving the finances to someone else ..... and not necessarily Reese

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I wonder who Reese would have selelcted this year had Bud not filled out the card himself

7. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

i think reeses sucks at evaluatng picks and negotiating contracts. what i think reese is good at is picking second day guys. he's found many late round gems

8. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Bud vs reese...

A top general manager needs to have the guts to do what he thinks right not what the owner says. The very first draft pick ozzie newsome had with the ravens was in 1996 with the 4th pick. Art modell wanted him to draft lawrence phillips but newsome thought that jonathon ogden was a better value with less risk. Newsome then proceeded to draft a linebacker with the 22nd pick a guy named lewis. Not bad 2 hall of famers in your first 2 picks.

As for reese he has done a good job getting mid to lower picks that contribute but it's been a long long time since he has drafted a bonafide top player. The 2002-2004 drafts should be reaping big benefits now and we see little benefit. We used 2 second rd picks, a third and a fourth on defensive linemen in 2004 and not one of them is an outstanding player. We used a 3rd and 4th rd pick for CBs and both have done nothing..

We had 5, count them 5 worthless draft picks at the cornerback position from 2002-2004.

CBs
    Beckham-4th
    Echols-4th
    Woolfolk-1st
    Gardner--3rd
    waddell--4th

D-line
    Laboy-2nd
    Odom-2nd
    Starks-3rd
    Long-4th
    Scobel-4th

10 defensive players with little value to show for it. No wonder our defense sucks so bad..

10. Michi40

Michi40 Lost bullet

Still, reese is save this year. Lets see what happends at next draf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar