Do you think Vince Young is a good thrower?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goawayschwartz, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

lol, spoken like a fan of a statue. Those 78 yards he ran vs the Colts in game 2 sure didn't have any effect on the game.
    And pssst...maybe you haven't gotten the message, but pocket qb's are becoming extinct.

To answer the original question: No. I don't think Vince is a good passer. Until the 4th quarter.

2. i agree completely, i wish that he would start earlier in the game lol

3. mdfan

mdfan Starter

Swing Just a question

if this was true last year
    and the Colts were 3-13 in Peyton's rookie year - he started all 16 games
    the Titans went 8-8 in Vince's rookie year - he started 13 of those games

why do you rate Peyton's leadership in his rookie year higher - I'm just curious

4. Deuce Wayne

Peyton Manning showed leadership his rookie year? Amazing, because he hasn't done that since then. Oops.

5. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Do we all forget that aside about Steve Mac. He did not throw side arm, but he did not scare anyone with his arm, as much as he did as a runner. It took him three years as a starter, and then Hermindinger, and then D-Mase to come on as a true #1 wideout to make it known that Mac will beat you with his Arm and LEGS. Even before then, Mac had Frank (White... my nick name for him). I really see alot of similarities between the two Steve Mac had his first read, then throw to Frank Wycheck. Let's set the record straight, VY WILL and DOES sit in the pocket!!!! He will wait there forever (to a fault sometimes) for a receiver to break open. There is a good point to this and a bad. The good I see is that he is patient, he won't easily give up on a reciver and dart out of the pocket as soon as he sees him covered (see Michal Vick for the very opposite definition of this..lol), this means that when we really get some recievers that will actually GET open CONSISTENTLY (key word here), then he will be pretty damn hard to stop. Next, the bad thing about it is that he will stare down receivers till the cows come home. He will improve upon this wehn he gets more comfortale with the offense and gets a few dependable targets he can go to in a pinch. All of our criticism is well earned but let's always keep things in perspective of where he is in his progression, and not lend it to belive this is the way he will always be as a passer.

The sky is the limit when someone has the desire to win, abitlity to learn, and the skills to perform miracles!!!!!

GO VINCE YOUNG!!!!!!!!

6. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Don't give me that 'didn't you read my post' BS.....
    i read your post just fine and simply pointed out that he was a rookie and 2006 was a bad year for the franchise overall in terms of receivers... and would certainly not be an ideal year for him to be judged..

You've generalized him in a nutshell by claiming...

and my response was 'wait till next season' as it would be considered unfair to generalize him as 'not a good thrower' after seeing him play for only one season under unforeseen difficult circumstances (being the lack of production from the WRs)..

Off topic but somewhat relevant...
    it might be a rumor, but many fans believe that one of the reasons Volek was traded was because he supposedly insulted his entire offense by telling fish in private "nobody can win with this offense"..

As for comparing the two, why would you only rate VY as a 5 when giving Peyton a perfect 10 in terms of passing? What infant horsey’s butt hole did you pull these numbers out from?

If I wanted to get technical and produce numbers with credibility worth mentioning.. I’ll do some maths and say..

Peyton 2006 pct: 65
    VY 2006 pct: 51.5

Difference: 20.77%

so if you're going to give Peyton a 10 (instead of a 6.5); basic maths would tell us that VY would be a 7.9 out of 10… (or even higher if not for all the drops from his WRs which unfortunately counted against VY's pct)

My maths might be fudged up, but you still get the point..

7. SwingOnDeezBalz

SwingOnDeezBalz Banger of Infant Horseys

I don't know if your math is "fudged" but your reasoning is horrible.

There's a difference between throwing and passing. If you take Peyton and Vince out to an airport runway and give them each 20 different types of balls and then see who can throw further and more accurate, you'll be able to figure out who the better "thrower" is, but it won't do you much good in figuring out who is the better passer.

As for your percentage numbers, is that completion percentage in the regular season?

You've got some learning to do here, bud. Statistical reasoning. Your mind is a mess here.

I want to judge NFL QB's on a curved scale from 1-10. I would place Peyton Manning at the top of that curve because he won 12 games, won the super bowl, lead the league in Passer Rating and TD's, ect, ect, ect.

You want to make this 1-10 scale based JUST on completion percentage, then you want to make the curve a stastistical impossibility by just taking the value of the highest integer in a passer's percentage and making that his 1-10 grade? That's some elementary garbage, duder.

Is David Carr the best QB in the NFL? Based on your chaos, his 68.3 completion percentage would rate him a "6.8" on a 1-10 scale, and put him right at the top. Again, you'll have to forget about the 1-10 scale if you go by Pit Bull's reasoning. There's no 7, much less an 8, 9, or 10 (It would take a 100% completion percentage for the entire year to earn a 10 rating on Pit's downes syndrome scale).

If I wanted to make this really easy on you, Pit Bull, I'd just take Passer Rating- top rating gives you a 10, and then you tier it incrementally down to the bottom. It won't take too much 4th grade math. Peyton=1st="10"; VY=Dead Last="1"

8. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

So let me get this straight… right from the horse’s month (no pun intended) in your previous post you stated:

So in an attempt to challenge your twisted numbers (in terms of passing –as you’ve said), I’ve went ahead and compared completion percentage of the two QBs and presented it here as to question your 10:5 reasoning… but it now appears as if you’re clearly contradicting yourself in saying:

Swing… make up your mind as to what point you’re trying to make. Man I feel sorry for the person taking your pizza call… "onions.. no I meant jalapeno peppers… did I say jalapeno peppers.. no no no…I SAID green peppers.."

If you’re having a hard time remembering what you type in previous posts I highly suggest you slow down and re-read your post before rushing to dispute others..

I said it initially and I’ll say it again.. Nobody’s comparing VY to Peyton Manning… but since your response was ‘In terms of passing, Peyton is the "10" on the scale from 1-10 and Vince young is at a 5..’ do expect to receive some contradiction..

No.. but based on your ‘in terms of passing’ he would rock your 1-10 scale.

Well you should have probably done that initially instead of wasting both our time with the ‘in terms of passing’ mumbo jumbo.. :rolleyes:

9. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Manning and Young are vastly different styles of QBs. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me to compare the two.

I'm happy with Young. He knows how to win. I don't care if his QB rating is always dead last in the league as long as he keeps winning games.

10. Deuce Wayne

I still wonder just how good a passer Manning would be if he didn't have 4 wide open targets every time he snaps the ball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar