Do you think Vince Young is a good thrower?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goawayschwartz, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Guest

I think many of his passes were right on the money. You can see he's already working on placement(which is pretty damn awesome considering he was a rookie)... he needs to adjust to his recievers, and having to throw the ball sooner/later than he anticipated. But he's a fine passer.

I don't know if he'll ever complete %60 percent of his passes, but that's because he takes a lot of chances, and requires his recievers to make plays. There's nothing wrong with that.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

wow. that's coming from a Texans fan.

We are tougher on our own guy than fans of the opposition.

3. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

yea other fans probably think vince young is mroe of a god then we do, because we have seen his every game and we know that there are flaws in his delivery and accuaracy, other fans jsut see him running 45 yards for the game winnning touchdown, or setting up for a 24-0 4th quarter, we see the picture behind the illusion.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

and some of them are Texas fans. ever think of that?

5. Dr.Awkward

Dr.Awkward Camp Fodder

I don't think there's a QB in the league that throws better than on the run than VY. I don't understand how he can be so ridiculously accurate with passes on the run and still have so much trouble with 10 yard passes. It's wierd. I think it really comes down to footwork and squaring your shoulders.

6. SwingOnDeezBalz

SwingOnDeezBalz Banger of Infant Horseys

The original poster asked "is he a good thrower?"

well, since he's pretty inaccurate, and his motion is detestable, I'm going to say that he's not a good thrower. He can throw a ball very far and with high velocity, but I do not belive that this makes up for his shortcomings.

More important to NFL QB's is there ability as a "PASSER." Vince Young is a mediocre passer right now. He suffers from a poor throwing motion, a high desire to run, lack of experience, poor receiving corps, mediocre team, all that. I watched him in several games (thank you, NFL Sunday Ticket...Thank you) particularly the 2 vs the Colts, and Vince Young was dangerous as a runner, but not too threatening from the pocket. I think his passer rating between those two games was like 50.3 or something.

So, he's young (no pun) and he's athletic, and he has shown that he can win. Will he ever be a truly GOOD passer (or "thrower" as some of you call it)? I really doubt it. Does this mean he can't win? I really doubt it.

I'd take him over Vick right now.

7. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

How can you judge his throwing ability after only one season being his rookie year. 2006 was a bad year for us in terms of WRs and VY didn't have anyone to throw to.

I can only assume you're not comparing him to Peyton when judging his throwing ability. Nobody's arguing about his running ability.. and that will be looked at as an added bonus, but being a passer is even more vital in order to win games...

I can't wait to see what he'll do next season when the core of receivers is upgraded.. but until then i'd give him an 'incomplete' grade for 06 rather than a 'fail'..

and if he's a runner (like you label him to be), there's no way i or anyone else would take him over Vick...

8. maximus

maximus Starter

His release is fine, so he side arms it. So did Bernie Kosar. I challege ya'll to model your release after VY's. You will find that it is much easier on the shoulders. I did it. It is more accurate, tighter spirals, more distance, etc.
    I got the QB job on my society team because the WR liked to catch the football when I throw it.

9. SwingOnDeezBalz

SwingOnDeezBalz Banger of Infant Horseys

I adressed every point you just made in my post. WTF? Did you not read it? I judged his PASSING ability BASED on only having seen him play for one year, with a bad team, with poor WR's.

Well, since Peyton is the universal benchmark for NFL passers these days, YES, in fact, I do compare him to Peyton. In terms of passing, Peyton is the "10" on the scale from 1-10. So maybe Vince young is at a 5 right now. Are you suggesting that it's not fair to compare Young to Manning? Is it only fair to compare Brady to Manning? All NFL QB's have a benchmark. Whether you think that mark is Peyton or Brady, I don't care, but yes, you can compare any NFL starting QB to the best of their peers.

I did not give him a 'fail.' But he doesn't get the luxury of an "incomplete" score either. I'd give Manning a C+ for his rookie year and I'd give Vince Young a C. Vince won more games, but Manning showed more passing, leadership, and developmental promise. FYI, his "sophomore" year, he went 13-3. Maybe Vince can do the same. I doubt it.

Are you looking at this from a purely running perspective? Because if so, it's a completely irrelevant concept. It's like saying, "who's the best passing runningback in the NFL?" A running QB is worthless in this league. The sheer ability to run should be viewed as nothing more than a supplement to a QB's elusiveness. Vick could have a 2,000 yd rushing season, and his team wouldn't make the playoffs. So again, no matter how you put it, I'd rather have Vince Young than Pothead Vick.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

yeah, and wade dropped one at the colts early in the season and another against the giants. both would have been TDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar