Do you think Michael Vick will be a star again?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Shanvhere, Jul 28, 2009.

?
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Maybe?

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Vick would bring all kinds of attention to the Jags. Millions would be sold because animal lovers would buy "Vick Sucks" signs. What few fans the Jags have will quit coming to the games because they can't believe how far their beloved team sunk into the deep. The media will have a field day giving Jacksonville the worst kind of pub they could imagine.

Anyone thinking a team could gain popularity by getting Vick is insane. If Vick goes anywhere it should be to a team that is already strong enough to weather the storm of contraversy Vick would bring.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Do you know how many fans Vick had during his time in Atlanta? Mike Vick could still run for governor of Georgia today (wouldn't win but could do it just for the hell of it). Go see http://savemichaelvick.com/ or some other site standing strong behind their guy Michael Vick. You merely think he will be dogged (no pun intended) because he was into something bad. People cant even remember what they had for lunch yesterday, time heals everything. I live in Connecticut and the fans around here love Vick. This is Giants, Jets, and Patriots territory but the fans here look past his mistake. If fans 1,400 miles away love him then his close fans down there near ATL will surely back their man. Besides, the Jaguars are another few bad seasons away from leaving town.

I will say if the Jags aren't for Vick then he should go to a program that lives for football. Such as Pittsburgh, New England or like you said a team that can absorb his negative attention.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

At what point did someone determine qb's could run the wildcat? Because I've never seen it. It seems to me in the wildcat you have a clogged running lane. Most good qb's rely on openings to slick their way down field.

The Wildcat should fail. To this day I do not understand it's effectiveness. There is no deception in it. It's a running offense. You tell them you are going to run. You do that with a qb, you can expect little net unless the blocking is good.

Vick needs to play qb to become the crayon in the box. Is he any good at that? not really. But he can run out of a regular formation. He can pass out of it. And that makes him a winner on the whole. I think he will be successful if he still has his legs. Will he be a superbowl winner? Only if the team can look him in the eye and believe in him. But a convict has a more difficult time getting the support of your team in tough times. They have to belive him when he demands execution, when he says to sacrifice, and now there is a doubt that he would do the same for them.

4. Nine

Nine Starter

If Vick was productive with straightforward read-option plays, then I suspect he would be equally effective as a wildcat QB. There's not a lot of deception, but on any given play there are 3-4 guys who could potentially be the primary ballcarrier....which means the defense can't focus on any one player or area. Maybe the QB hands it to the RB running between the tackles....or hands it to the motion WR/RB coming back across the formation....or perhaps he fakes it to both players and bootlegs around the back side. The defense has to be prepared for all three.

The difference is, Vick would be far and away the most accomplished passer to ever run the wildcat, making him a far greater threat than Ronnie Brown, DeAngelo Williams, or even former college QB Josh Cribbs. Most teams use a RB to run the wildcat. With Vick, you'd have a player with several years of experience as an NFL QB who oh-by-the-way is still one of the fastest and most elusive players on the field.

The biggest weakness of the WC is that it's heavily run-oriented. But if you've got a QB who can throw the ball 60-70 yards on the run, opponents are forced to reassess their defensive approach. No longer can safeties cheat up to the LOS or stack 9-10 guys in the box. No longer can they load up against the run and leave the offense's top receiver in single coverage.

After two years away from the game, I see no way that Vick will simply hit the ground running. Barring serious injury to the incumbent starter, there's no way will he be handed a starting job this year.

But given a limited repertoire of plays geared specifically toward his skillset, I do think he could at least be productive in a limited role and give opponents something else to think about and prepare for.

Will he be a star again? I seriously doubt it. But I figure he could be good for a few hundred yards and maybe 3-4 TD's for a couple years, which is far more than most backup QB's contribute over the course of a season.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

well reasoned and thought out. I am not convienced he has not lost a step, but of course I have nothing to base that on either

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

The Jags, Skins, 49ers, and Bills have all said that they don't want him. Frontrunners are rumored to be the Steelers and the Pats.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I'd rather have Vick than Young.

8. Jedimasterbyrd

Jedimasterbyrd Time Traveler/Jewel Thief

Ron Mexico will be the talk of the town in the UFL or CFL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar