Dinger Fired

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by chamgel2, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Hemisdfsdger not only played, but he recommended and started McCariens in 2008.

WRs riding pine in 2008 included Hawkins and Williams. Just sayin' he did let emotion get involved in his decision making process.

2. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I don't actually remember him recommending McCareins. I do remember him talking about trying to make it work with McCareins. McCareins and Heimerdinger had a shakey history. I hardly believe our coaches other than Fisher had so much control over who played and didn't. There seemed to be a pattern of favoritism toward over the hill veterans among several positions.

3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Pretty sure he was a big part of bringing McCareins back actually.

I guess he remembers McCareins' solid performance in 2003 (when we had our most success on offense EVER) and felt he could make it work.

4. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I specifically remember him talking about their time with the Jets, and how they were trying to move past it.

5. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

It's hard not to feel like a d*** for wanting Dinger to get fired since he's already been dealt with a s*** hand, but at the end of the day, it's still business and it's not like he's done anything for us to deserve a monument. Starting over is exactly that...starting over. But I do praise him for still coming to work even with cancer and wish him the best, both his health and career. Looking forward to the fresh start.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't know of somebody mentioned this already but Dinger is under contract since they extended him after the cancer dx. They didn't want him to worry about contract issues and now he is without a job he still gets paid well.

So there is nothing heartless about this he is getting paid anyway. the only issue for me is that they are talking about Mcginnis being kept on only as an asistant head coach. I would rather have had Dinger for that.

7. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

kinda feels bad... this leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Why?

9. Smudger

Smudger Starter

This is exactly what Munch needs to do, he must put his stamp on the franchise and make it his team.

He has not been promoted to keep the status quo, he has to make the hard decisions and I am pleased he is facing them head on. It should stop the talk that he is another Fisher in disguise.

Whether or not he is making the right decisions only time will tell but for now they are his decisions to make.

I wish Dinger all the best and hope he will make a full recovery. He has time to concentrate on getting better and, as already stated, he has the security of a years work without the stress of rebooting a franchise.

10. Sevenfeet

Sevenfeet Starter

'Dinger will likely be ok at least for the short term. Since the Titans are going to pay him his last year of his contract (and assuming he doesn't work next year), technically he'll still be on payroll since the Titans will likely pay him over a 12 month period rather than a lump sum. That means he'll probably still be on the team health plan which means his treatment will continue uninterrupted. Once the next season ends, he could still get health care for an additional 18 months paying COBRA assuming he doesn't get on with another team at that point. (expensive but probably still affordable for a guy who made $1m over the previous year). This is also the same situation for all coaches not being retained but still re-signed to contract extensions by Fisher assuming they don't get new gigs this year.

The only wrinkle is if there is no CBA and a lockout happens. At that point potentially no one will get paid (players and coaches have already been warned to save up). At that point, everyone is technically laid off and would have to make COBRA payments until there is an agreement. 'Dinger would be in the same boat unless Mr. Adams made a special exception for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar