Differences between locker and mariota?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansWillWin2, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I actually think TWW is more right than anyone would like to admit. Sure Locker was inaccurate at both levels, but he played in an NFL system in college with far less talent than what MM had around him. From watch MM's tape, he wasn't the most accurate guy (made a few bad throws to wide open guys), had very sloppy footwork, and had far superior talent compared to who they faced.

My review of MM coming out was pretty much an incomplete. He played in a system that he won't be in here that had guys running wide open and he still missed some of those throws. He's got a lot further to go, and isn't going to be near as good as what many of you hope early on. He's going to need to time to get better.

I just hope he stays healthy, as running QB's all break down at some point.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Pigeon Bomb Pigeon Bomb x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Running QB's do break down, but to Mariota's credit he only runs when he's forced out of the pocket. He does use a lot of option stuff too which makes you think he's a running QB, but thats just a side dish to the main course. Mariota is a pocket QB.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

No.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

NNOOOOOOOOOOOO,lol. Don't ever ever mutter Locker is similar to Mariota or use their names in the same sentence they are NOTHING alike at all. Scary thought. Locker's record in college was 11-25 including one year at 0-11 plus his accuracy was 47% one year and his total completion rate was 53% meaning he barely completed half his passes. Also Locker was injured a bit in college too which leads me to ask this question. It must have been Locker's arm or his size because otherwise WTF did this team ever see in this guy he was terrible in college why did they ever even pick him?

Meanwhile Mariota was 36-4 in college career barely losing any games. Mariota passed for 10,000 yards and completed 67% of his passes while running for 2,000 more yards. Mariota threw for 105TD,14INT the best ratio and lowest interception rate in in college football history and he once went 353 passes without an interception. Mariota is great physically he was tops in several combine events and mentally he has high intelligence and processes info lightning fast and is mainly a pocket passer but can beat defenders with his running as well.

Gave me nightmares just thinking about another four years of Locker inspired football. Sure he was a nice dude but he couldn't play worth a damn.

Mariota as good as he was in college was the highest rated prospect since Luck and QBASE is highly on the money rated him sixth best since '95 behind only Manning,Luck,Rivers,McNabb,Palmer,Wilson pretty good company.

Mariota has all the tools you could want in a QB prospect like someone said he is can't miss and the complete package because most QB's have one or two big flaws that keep them from being ready most of the time but Mariota has almost none. He dominated the combine he has it physically then on the other hand he has it mentally he has high intelligence,great recall and process info super quick something Chip Kelly said he has never seen another QB do mentally that quick like Mariota.

He has what it takes all thats left is for Mariota to be able to get on the field and do well which shouldn't be too big of a task for someone who is confident like Mariota and plays the game well.......

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Cheers Cheers x 2
  5. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I disagree that he's a pocket QB. Can he play from the pocket? Sure, kinda. From his college tape he does ok at it, but that's not what makes him special. Drew Brees steps up well is calm in the pocket and maneuvers it well. Same with Tom, Peyton, Rodgers, and maybe Rivers. But that's not his forte. He needs to clean up his footwork A LOT in the pocket.

My main point is that his transition is going to be tougher than what a lot of people think. He'll very likely go about 6-10 his first season. The best attribute he has though is his work ethic and demeanor. He will absolutely put in the effort to get his issues better, but he's going to have a lot of lumps in his first few seasons. Especially if our current crop of WR can't get their act together and help him out.

Frankly the most important thing we need to help him is establish a run game. Which we absolutely couldn't do last year.

• Boring Boring x 2
  6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I HATED the Locker pick.

What hurts worst is I was screaming at the TV to pick Watt. (That was after ATL traded up to get Julio Jones.....)

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Im not one bit worried about his footwork, its sloppy yes but it doesn't seem to matter much, he still hits his targets.

as for winning 6 games, Im thinking thats about right, I said we'd win 7 games with a chance at 8. Im just dying to enjoy the full season again, even if it means we dont make the postseason.

Most 2-14 teams rebound the year after, unless we're the 2001 Lions I see us taking a huge step forwards in 2015.

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Their skin tone and height.

... pretty much it.

Mariota may be a bit smarter.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Locker has played and washed out in the NFL, Mariota has neither.
    Any other questions?

PS - that's what cockatoos do. They are as high strung as they get.

10. LangeSohne

LangeSohne Starter

I've been lurking here for awhile, but this thread has prompted me to sign up and post. As background, I'm a huge Husky fan (alum) and also grew up in Hawaii (same elementary school as Mariota, coincidentally). So I've followed Locker and Mariota very closely during their college careers.

As much as I love Husky players, Mariota is far and away a better player than Locker. As others have said, Locker had accuracy and durability issues in college. I was always curious why UW insisted on starting him when he had such glaring deficiencies. I think it was because, despite the actual poor on-field performance (when healthy), he has the ideal physical make-up and strong arm that you look for in a quarterback. It's like UW was still enamored by his high school Rivals star rating and expected him to be amazing given the ingredients, but it never came together on the field. I think Tennessee fell for the same thing when they drafted him so high. I was shocked but also happy for Locker.

As for Mariota, wow. Tennessee is lucky to have him. Anyone who has followed Pac12 play closely knows that he is a special player. All of us fans know; all the coaches know. There will be growing pains of course, but you guys will see it too.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar