Did CBA change balance from draft to free agency?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by smili, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smili

smili Starter

All, Has anyone seen an analysis indicating that the new CBA may have shifted the balance away from the draft and toward free agency?

In recent years the more successful teams built through the draft and not free agency. This couldn't be popular amoung the vets who are getting cut to free up cap space for younger/less expensive draft picks. I'm wondering if there's been a rebalancing of incentives to make free agent's relatively more valuable so that now teams can build through free agency too. It's really strange to see the Titans out spending money on FA.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I think it's traditional that teams that have money in FA go out and spend a good amount of it - at least for key acquisitions, as there are teams that start the season still waaay under the cap. I don't think it's an unusual scenario. What is different this year is that every team was given a windfall, and it happens to enable more teams to participate in free agency than in the average year....IMO.

3. Nothing has changed aside from the size of the cap. Contracts will increase in response and things will go right back to the way they were before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar