Diagnosing Arian Foster's Strange Success in the NFL...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RavensShallBurn, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Everyone is acting like I don't think he's good. I recognize him as a top 5 RB in the league, but he's gotta be on something. You don't go from mediocre at UT to being that great in the NFL even if all the credit goes to the Texans' o-line.

The guy is good, but c'mon... best in the league?!

Adrian Peterson, LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte... all better.

2. naiirb

naiirb Camp Fodder

While Foster is benefiting from some great o-line play this clip shows you he isnt just a product of the system. Jukes the hell out of Polamalu and turns what would be a tackle for a loss to a 20 yard gain

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfm8dJF7CpY"]Arian Foster - YouTube[/ame]

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm just as baffled by Fosters stats as anyone. Doesn't make sense that he's this good.

4. Oilers81

Oilers81 Camp Fodder

Foster is so damned good for a few reasons, if you watch him enough you would see why. He has OUTSTANDING vision, great cutting ability, he makes defenders miss and avoids hard hits. He might not be able to dance like CJ, but the guy is no doubt legit.

Now, the Texans blocking deserves credit as well, but you guys have to remember, Slaton, Ward, Ogbonnaya, and even Tate don't have the success Foster has (although Tate has a higher avg this year, remember he was drafted in 2 round). Tate is having a great year, and if you watch him run you will see he's a solid back. There have been other RB's on the Texans that don't resemble anything close to a top RB, then you put Foster in and all the sudden it's a different ballgame.

Foster is top 8 at worst, arguably one of the top 5 RB's.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Foster is a solid route runner and very deadly as a receiver as well, give him a little space and you pay the price... time and time again.

5. amstrf89

amstrf89 Starter

Derrick Ward 2010 6.3 ypc
    Ben Tate 2011 5.6 ypc
    Arian Foster 2010 4.9 ypc
    Steve Slaton 2008 4.8 ypc
    Arian Foster 2011 4.3 ypc
    Steve Slaton 2009 3.3 ypc

I wouldn't say Foster has stood out amongst Texans' RBs.

Also, out of the 26 RBs this year with at least 100 carries, Foster is 17th in ypc.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

Foster's good, but I think it's the system he's in that makes him look great. He plays with an oline that opens gaping holes, and the Texans throw vertically a lot which makes the defense less aggressive. I don't have him as a top 5 back right now. I'd take AP, Shady, Rice, Forte, DMC, and Turner over him without a second thought. And there's a bunch of others that I would consider as well.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Kubiak was offensive coordinator during Denver's plug and play rb system that was so dominant in the early 2000s. Ben Tate looks as good as Foster really. So I think it's the system.

What we need is Foster to revert back to his UT ways and make crucial fumbles at the most inopportune time for the rest of Texans season.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

He was good at UT. UT fans were just too dumb to know it.

They latched on to a couple fumbles and wrote the guy off.

He was often hurt as well. Wonder when that will come back...

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Did I say he wasn't good? I said he made crucial fumbles at the worst time which is fact. That is the reason UT fans don't have the love for Foster than they do other good vols, like Denarious Moore.

10. Oilers81

Oilers81 Camp Fodder

Sure, you can take YPC and look at NOTHING else to make an assumption, but I don't think that one stat can paint a complete picture, like is the case with almost every stat, there's never one stat that tells the whole story.

Keep in mind, all backs are partially a product of the system they are in, but both Slaton and Tate were high picks, 3rd and 2nd round, so they should have done fairly well in the pros unless they were blown picks.

Edit: I am not saying there is no question to any of this, but it is arguable, in which case it's mainly just opinion v opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar