Dexter McCluster

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AH3, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Sproles was drafted in the 4th rnd - mainly because of his diminutive size and Sproles was at 185lbs when drafted - and that's a bout 15 lbs too light for a starting rb. McCluster is currently 17lbs LIGHTER than Sproles was.

In addition, he was not blowing the doors off anyone as a WR and has only flourished the last few games as a scatback/slot reciever. He won't have a starting role to rely on being drafted into so he'll be a middle rnd pick if not later. Depends on how he runs (40, 20, 10) and how he runs patterns. No one in there right mind should draft a 5-7 168lb slot/scat back in rnd's 1 or 2 and even the 3rd rnd is very high.

Sproles was a 4th rnd pick and the closest comparable guy is Maurice Jones-Drew who is also 5-7...but outweighs him by 30lbs and that 30lbs makes a big difference. And where was MJD picked...

So at best I'd say 3rd rnd if he keeps ripping it up. More likely 4-6th rnds simply because he hasn't been a big difference maker as a traditional slot WR and he's weigh too small to be more than a change of pace 2nd rb.

Gut

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

DeSean Jackson is 5'10, 175. Donnie Avery is about the same as Jackson. Sproles is a good example.

What you are missing is when Sproles was drafted nobody thought he could produce like he has as a RB. You think Sproles would last until the 4th round now? I just believe McCluster could get a more favorable draft position because smaller guys have shown out lately. Teams aren't going to quite as afraid to give him a shot and speed and play making are at a premium. Even a guy like Devin Hester (I know he isn't quite as small) proved a dynamic return guy can really help a team and he was drafted in the 2nd round without a position.

By the way ALL your example out played expectations for their size. Add Ray Rice to the list.

3. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Darren Sproles and Ray Rice have very thick builds...something McCluster doesn't have. Bad comparisons. There's really no NFL back that McCluster compares to. He's D-Jax without the ball skills.

I like him, but no way he goes before the 3rd round. He'll need a year or two in the NFL before he makes any significant impact IMO.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The comparison isn't that McCluster will be an every down RB. The comparison is there are a bunch of dynamic players in the league right now that have proven the preconcieved belief their size was an issue was wrong. Chris Johnson is an example of that.

So the point I'm making isn't that McCluster is CJ, Rice or anyone else. The point I'm making is he may go sooner than he might have gone a few years ago. My example of Hester is a perfect one. The guy was picked in the 2nd round to be nothing more than a KR, PR. He had no other skills at the time on offense or defense. If (I said if) McCLuster can show something during WR drills in his workouts who knows where some team might take him.

We can argue until we are blue in the face but one thing I know for sure. Teams have been kicking themselves in the butt here lately because they passed on some guys they thought were too small and now they wish they had not. It only takes one to take a chance on the kid.

5. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Well you can't really rule anything out with McCluster. I mean, Pat White went in the 2nd round for Christ's sake...

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

It wasn't that people thought Sproles couldn't play, they thought he'd have a tough time handling the pounding and as a small back, wouldn't be able to break many tackles or push a pile. He is exactly what they expected him to be...an excellent scatback and returner. Now can he become like Tiki and become a fulltime back at his size? That is the question most GM's would not gamble on him or guys like Garret Wolfe.

Most WR's under 180lbs don't do well in the NFL because they have a hard time beating press coverage. Are there rare exceptions like DeSean Jackson? YES. But they are very few and far between. DJ's size is WHY he fell to rnd 2 because every team didn't think he could be more than a dynamic slot and return guy. They were wrong, but they are right 98% of the time...so which odds are you gonna play?

You may recall that I said the Titans should have drafted DeSean Jackson and then trade up for CJ who probably would have fallen into rnd 2,perhaps past where Jackson was selected. However, CJ's size isn't really an issue...he's 5'11 and 200lbs.

Ray Rice and MJD aren't on a list because they are short...they have mass. Both are over 200 lbs (Rice is like 210 at 5'8"). They are powerful.

McCluster is like a short DeSean Jackson with less speed and a mile less track record as a dynamic player...especially at his 'normal' position. If McCluster can dominate on a weekly basis and then run a 4.30 at the combine, someone could take a shot at him in rnd 2, but I doubt that happens. I don't think he's that fast, he's too short, too light, and doesn't have the resume at an NFL position that gets you drafted in rnds 1-2.

Hester like others was overdrafted based on the hope that he could develop at another position while being a dynamic returner. He wasn't drafted in rnd 2 JUST to be a great return guy. Would you draft the current Devin Hester in rnd 2?

Gut

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

CJ isn't a good poster boy for your argument because he has NFL size at 5'11 and 200lbs...though he's on the lighter side. RB's can be short as long as they have some mass to them. Ray Rice is a good example. 5'8 and 210 is a small but thick guy. MJD is similar in that he's all legs.

The problem isn't McCluster's height, it's his lack of height AND weight AND he has not been a dynamic playmaker at a starting position in the NFL. That's a bad combo for a high rnd draft pick. Could it happen? Sure. There are always teams like the Raiders who will pick a DHB at #7. But that doesn't mean the guy SHOULD be going there.

Where do you project McCluster. He's hard to project at anything but a slot WR and even slot WR's are usually not below 5'9 nor below 170 lbs. And his track record at WR is not exactly awe-inspiring. NO WAY can he play RB even in a limited role because a 168lb rb will get hurt. So that leaves him as a return guy...which is where guys like Dante Hall have been good players...but I wouldn't take him in rnd 1 or 2. If you wanna blow your 2nd rnd pick on a pr/kr...go ahead. But no one should do that.

Gut

8. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Dexter Carter

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

CLOSE! He was 5'9. How did he turn out for the Niners (who drafted him in rnd 1)? Guys like Carter are the reason teams don't draft 170lb rb's early in the draft anymore. McCluster is shorter and lighter than Dexter Carter. That's not good for a high pick.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar