Despite 4-12 Season, Titans Had a Few Positives

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Following an ugly 4-12 season, it is not an easy task to find much to be positive about. But there were a few things which happened during the '05 season to remember. Steve McNair became the 49th player in NFL history to reach 25,000 career passing yards, he also became only the fifth quarterback to top 25,000 yards passing and 3,000 yards rushing (joining Elway, Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young and Randall Cunningham). Kyle Vanden Bosch was fourth in the league in sacks, with 12.5. The three TEs - Erron Kinney, Ben Troupe and Bo Scaife - combined for 149 receptions, the second-best total in NFL history for a tight ends as a group. The Tennessee defense was second-best in the league in forcing opponents into three-and-out drives, doing so 31.3 percent of the time.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Positives: Lamont Thompson got a pick in Miami. Clevan:brow: Williams made big strides toward the end of the season.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Of all the positives, safety play is certainly not one. One pick? ONE PICK? Come on!

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

He was directly responsible for more touchdowns blown right by or through him than that... I don't remember which game, can someone else help me, when he was literally run over on about the two yard line for a TD. Blown through like he wasn't there, just fell down... My faulty memory says raiders or steelers, but that could be wrong. Maybe he was covering for young corners, but you never saw him running in to cut off a receiver. I saw him a lot running in after the play and slapping someone else on the back, does that count?

I don't really mean this as a rant, I'm a little frustrated with all the football excitement the last few weeks with no Titans, but come on. LT isn't the first guy I think should be let go (thank you Brad Hopkins, you can go now, take that 8 million from last year and get yourself some new knees) but I don't think he's deserving of that, what , 2 million dollar bonus? 2 MILLION? That could pay for 40 kids tuition at UT, or 13 at Vandy (I think), not something I think an underachieving safety deserves. He doesn't have excuses, he's not a new player, not coming off injury. He should be in his prime, and if this was his prime, he's not worth it.

(General apology to Elfin if this seems too aggressive, I'm up earlier than I should be. Also general apology to the board, looking over it, this is definitely the loosest I've ever been with slinging stats, feel free to correct anything that I remembered incorrectly...)

5. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Positives - non-season ticket holders could get tickets for cheap on gamedays. You had plenty of leg room at the games. The seat next to you was generally free to put your coat. The chances of someone in front of you standing up and blocking your view was pretty slim.

6. KobeChaz

KobeChaz Guest

A few positives? That's buying into a losing mentality. The 1 positive, if it is even a positive is the #3 draft pick.

7. You forgot that lines at bathrooms and concession areas were shorter...

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

:eek:

WOW!!!! Schwartz must be a defensive genius !

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Too bad most of those 3 and outs were when they were trying to be merciful running out the clock.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Yup. Another example of making sure you watch the games before spouting stats.

Usually, third-down conversions allowed and turnover ratio are two huge indicators of defensive success. One of the main problems for the Titans is that they didn't get opponents in enough third down situations to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar