Derrick Morgan aggravated the same left calf injury Today In Training.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

It's probably not fair to put this on Watterson. He has only had a few months to work with Morgan and this injury arose very early during his tenure with the Titans.

Has anybody heard what type of injury? Is it strained tendon, ligament or torn muscle?

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think it's only a muscle strain in the calf. He injured it and his hamstring during OTAs. The hammy seems to be okay.

3. Riverman

That's good to hear. They are holding him out because explosive starts from standstill can easily turn a calf strain (micro-tear) into a much bigger tear. I agree that about a week should take care of it.

I wonder if Morgan gained some weight during off-season and that's why he's having problems. This sort of injury can arise from somebody being overly agressive after a less demanding period of time.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Morgan getting sidelined by preseason drills is frustrating. I was hoping he'd be able to dive right into the action as a starter. But being hurt you can't practice, so he's not even making the week-1 roster by the looks of things. Keeps getting hurt.

5. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Pre-season is 4 weeks so we'll get enough time to see what Morgan can do. He'll probably get extended reps during the last 3 games to make up for if he misses week 1.

The good thing is Hayes and Ford are really good. Hayes has improved and Ford is just a beast. If Jones and Brown can stay healthy we'll have a top 5 dline.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

is Watterson another of "Fisher's guys" he just can't part with?
    I remember when Steve was regarded as a top conditioning coach, has he lost it ?

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

So let me get this right. Morgan hurts his calf about 5 minutes into mini camp and then aggravates it again about 5 minutes into training camp. Not sure how you can lay that on the conditioning coaches. Not like Morgan has been working out for 12 months with the team or anything.

We just need to hope this is a fluke. Morgan didn't have injury issues in college that I know of.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It's not just this instance though, it happens so often over the past decade, especially with hammys/quads.

Granted I don't know how bad it is compared to other teams but we run into this issue every season.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Read my post above.

10. Riverman

From reading ESPN's coverage of other teams, I think we are about average in strains/tears. I remember about 6 or 7 years ago, we seemed to have a higher number of foot fractures than normal but other than that I don't think we have had a significant difference in injury rates. These tears happen when a guy goes from his routine workout efforts to much higher intensity OTA or camp drills. From there, it becomes a matter of extending those tears into something more serious.

The only thing I could think that would help would be to increase plyometric or interval training during the off-season. That way there isn't such a significant difference in intensity. I just think the way the season is set up, guys need a prolonged period to heal all those nagging injuries and the start of off-season comes around so soon many guys don't train "all out". That sets them up to have some tears. That is why we hear about guys getting "eased back into" practices, etc. when their injury doesn't appear to be that severe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar