Defensive Linemen Face Struggle to Remain Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Two third-year defensive linemen are among those many feel are at risk to keeping their spots on the Titans roster. DT Jared Clauss will have fifth-round pick Jesse Mahelona on his heels. Clauss was a seventh-round selection out of Iowa in 2004 known first and foremost for his smarts, Clauss played in 15 games last season, starting one and finishing with 30 tackles and half a sack. DE Bo Schobel doesn't have a draft pick to worry about but the fourth-rounder from TCU missed much of his rookie year because of a broken foot. Though it was said he was the most ready coming out of college, Schobel hasn't lived up to expectations and the Titans may look to upgrade the slot at the back of the defensive end rotation through the waiver wire.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. fltitan

fltitan Guest

This is a great problem to have if our starters and front line backups play as they should. With Albert hopefully having a dominating season and Van continuing the level of his play Starks, Odom and LaBoy could an excellent year making our DL one of the best in the league. LB could be our strength and if Pac and Hill improve we could be much better on defense this year. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and the young guys show major improvement.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think it'll take showing a lot in camp for either to make the final roster.

4. Sledge

Sledge Guest

I think the fact that Hill will have Hope covering his arse this year will do wonders for him. I think Pac will bounce back and shine this year... No more pressure of being the 1st round pick coming in to change the D...

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Actually the scenarios for Clauss and Schobel are like night and day. Clauss is almost certain to be cut if Mahelona shows anything (not to mention a UDFA might even push him). Schobel on the other hand is almost certain to make the roster unless we bring in a vet DE and in that situation what Schobel does in camp will not matter anyway, he will be cut unless one of the other DEs gets seriously hurt.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think they'll look to upgrade him if he isn't showing major improvement. Reese will pull in someone off the waiver wire.

7. BAMARON

BAMARON Camp Fodder

I feel pretty good about the defense, with some good additions and extra depth. Even last year, they might have been better if the offence could have kept the ball a little more, so they wouldn't have had to be on the field all the time.

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I think it'll be good bye Santa Clauss. I really like getting Mahelona, especialy where we did. I think there's potential for Clauss to play LDE though....maybe even give Bo the boot :whoop:

Ok, highly unlikely, but I thought Clauss looked kinda good there when he got the shot his 1st year. He's got that kind of size, and he's pretty quick. Kind of a tweener I think.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Wasn't Mahelona projected as a 1st round pick?

10. Sukrillux

Sukrillux Guest

Mahelona is a force! Also a hard worker. I see him making the roster np. He may relieve Al or Starks during the course of long opponent drives during games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar