Dear Oregon Fans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Hammer, Oct 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperMariota

SuperMariota Starter

I assume this was directed toward this me. If it comes down to whose back I have at the end of the day it's Marcus Mariota. He's the only reason I started to post here. And as long as he is a Titan, I will continue to post here unless I develop forum relationships that I just can't live without!

With that said, the comments I continue to get after he was drafted was that he is 'going to a bad situation'. I didn't buy into that idea. I have always kind of liked Wiz, loved how he developed Roethisberger and what he did with Warner as his Qb in Arizoma. I loved the idea of him going to Tennessee and transforming them into a formidable contender for years to come. As fans you have seen enough losing. It's about time for you to start seeing some winning. But in the last three weeks, I can see why others were sayin' this was a bad situation for him. No offensive line. Very few playmsakers and maybe just maybe Wiz doesn't know what he is doing. Cap that with a General Manager I have great concerns on whether or not he can equip the team and Marcus with what they need to win, I'm starting to think this might be a bad situation for he Qb.

I will go in and say it. If Marus Mariota had an offensive line, weeks 2 -6 would have looked closer to his week one. He has been pressured, sacked, and taken plenty hard hits. You give him an average offensive line, the team is .500 or above right now.

If this situation doesn't improve, his career is short lived. And I'm less hopeful now the organization has any answers in preserving his career. If they can't, as much as I believe in him, It would not hurt my feelings for him to take a seat for the remainder of the season and move him in the offseason to a team that has a plan on how to use him. And to a team that will put him around players that will help him excel and preserve his career.

Of cousrse my first choice would be to see Ruston Webster and Ken Wisenhunt show some competence and improve this situation for he and his teammates. The fans have waited long for a winner. I think he is that and more. The dude just needs to be in the right dynamic.

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Unreadable Unreadable x 1
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I forgot who had made that comment. I did not say anything at the time because I figure you were probably just reacting to IceTurd.

And QBs rarely enter the NFL in a good situation. It is up to Mariota though to help to change that. And the part in bold, that is not going to happen. There is no reason for it to happen. They didn't draft Mariota second overall to give up on him a few months later. And what you are hoping for is a dream scenario.

Only way the team sits Mariota and moves him is if he sucks, really really bad (in which case he will not have a career) or if is they have a better option on the roster. And they do not have a better option. The team spent a year with Zach Mettenberger and realized he is not the answer. Despite what a small number of people here think he is not a great prospect. He is seems to have a great attitude, a big arm and little else. For your own information:
    1. Despite being surrounded by amazing talent at LSU he did not look like anything special. With that kind of talent Mariota would have smashed records. Look at the people Mett played with, he should have won the Heisman with that talent around him
    2. He is slow to read defenses which leads him to hold the ball too long. It also means he is too often passing the ball to receivers late in their route
    3. He stares down receivers, a major problem for an NFL QB and not an easy one to fix
    4. He also has a history of injuries, which does not help
    The truth is in 6 games last year Mett had one game where he looked decent. The other games he looked horrible but padded his stats in the 4th quarter when the game was way out of reach and the other team was playing prevent, trying to avoid injury. When the game was within reach Mett did next to nothing in those games.

#42 The Hammer, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    • Boring Boring x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

I was among those who thought Wiz was the best of a bad bunch to choose from. Although, in hindsight, we probably should have waited until after the SB and hired Quinn...who is now Atlanta's HC and they went from bad before he got there, to undefeated thus far.

Whiz might be a decent OC, but I cannot for the life of me understand how other teams that beat us, throw the ball downfield and we won't. We have both Hunter and DGB to throw the 50/50 balls to and we won't. Then, we try to establish a hard-nose identity in the run game, using 2 scatbacks. That is just insane. Yes, I know Cobb is on the IR until the midseason, but they brought Terrance West in, as a fill in, and they have him inactive.

We have no running game when we are featuring 5'8" 150lb McCluster. He's a slot WR, for Pete's sake!

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1
  4. JRayStay

JRayStay Starter

But we have no running game because we have no O-Line. Miami was the worst run defense in the league going into Sunday.
    The Titans managed 63 yards, @ 3.5 yds/carry, against a defense that was obviously putting emphasis on QB pressure. 3.5 YPC is 3rd worst in the NFL this year and the last two full seasons.

In 2013 and 2014 Bostad's lines gave up the 6th most sacks with two different teams, the TB Bucs and the TN Titans. He needs to go back to college.

Between play calling that is just crap and an O-Line that can't get it done, Mariota is in trouble, and at this point I just hope he manages to survive the Whiz experiment.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Not quite, they just lost to the Saints on TNF.
    Falcons have beaten all 4 teams from the 2nd worst division (NFCE) and 1 team from the worst division (AFCS).

Still better than the Titans, no doubt.

6. The Hammer

Yeah, that was him lol

7. SuperMariota

SuperMariota Starter

Yes I was very reactionary at the time to one poster. And I do agree that Marcus has a responsibility here as well. It's not all on the Titans.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. SuperMariota

SuperMariota Starter

We have a saying up here. It goes like this, 'Keep Portland Weird'. He fits this to the T. But loved his passion.

• LOL LOL x 1
  9. mact3333

mact3333 Starter

IMHO great QB play doesnt have much to do with having a super strong arm, it has to do with IQ and intelligence....the successful ones like Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Brady don't have super strong arms, but they are very smart. There have been plenty of Jamarcus Russells around.

This is where MM will succeed. He is smart and is very accurate in short to mid level passes. He will grow and learn the deep ball, but this is hard when the WR's are not great and the O-line won't get him more than 2-3 seconds.

People were too high on MM after week 1 and they are too low on him now. MM should rest for 2 weeks and then get back out there. A hurt and timid MM will not be effective, I have seen him play hurt at Oregon and he wasn't the same unfortunately.

10. The Hammer

Joe Montana, pretty much the greatest ever, slipped in the draft because he did not have a strong arm.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar