david beckham???

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by GMITTS, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beckham is the most recognised athlete in the world. Eastern Asia didn't even like soccer that much until he came along, so he'll develop a healthy fanbase. But he won't improve the quality of soccer in the U.S, because all the young athletes want to play one of the big 4 sports in the U.S (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHA)

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I think young athletes like playing soccer, or would like playing soccer if their parents encouraged them to play it. But the BIG BUCKS come from playing in the NFL/MLB/NBA. So that's the sports that parents channel their kids into.

Soccer wasn't available to play where and when I grew up. I never cared anything about it, until my daughter turned 4. She was allowed to play in a league at that age, before any other sports start, so we signed her up. She's 13 now and playing on her schools team. She loves it. She's grown up with it.

I've learned to like it a lot too. I coached her until this year. I read up, watched video's and learned all I could about it. I went to class and got a D-Class coach's license. I also got a referee certification and have ref'ed about 60 games the past 4 years.

Again, if kids were encouraged about playing soccer early on here, they would love it. But until there is way to make the big bucks playing it here, it won't happen.
    Kind of a catch-22, has to big a big viewership to get the TV money to pay big bucks, but kids won't grow up playing it until there's big bucks. I don't think that can ever change.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

The only reason America is ranked higher then they should be is because of the scrub countries they play.
    IF you guys were in any other zone, you wouldn't even make the World Cup.
    And if you players were any good they would be leaving for EPL, Spanish Primera, Serie A leagues where the real money and real skill is.
    Soccer players don't care for their country, their income is Premier League based.

Very funny, and about as likely as me winning the lottery.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

This is just about the most uh. 'Lost' thread I've ever seen. Some things I couldn't believe I was reading. Let's keep it simple: If you know nothing at all about soccer, just don't say anything about it. MLS a retirement league where all the old stars from Europe go? Like that ONE player? lol
    Beckham is washed up, so it doesn't do much for the league. Those sissy soccer players take more of a beating than many 'football' players do as well.
    Ah well, I suppose a lot of football fans are bitter that soccer's about 50x's more popular.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

As for the U.S. being on the rise: Soccer is currently dominating the youth as the most played sport and fastest growing.
    And I don't think anyone from Australia should be shunning the chances of the U.S. :)

6. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Then we're not the worst soccer country! There are scrubs countries worse that US.
    That's good news, considering soccer is the lowest priority in this country, compared to other countries.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Some people should do their research before speaking.

A) There are only 40 international players out of the 350 players in the league (MLS). That is less than 20%. The rest are americans. 80% are americans. It is not a retirement league for international players. They are lucky to make a team here.

B) As was mentioned. Soccer is the biggest youth sport in the country. Bigger than baseball, football and soccer. MLS is still young. Kids now have a place to play. They are just now getting to MLS. The talent is about to boom.

C) Proof of that is in the pudding. The u20 team usa beat Brazil. So our best players beat brazils on the finest stage. 2-1. Done. These two teams will be facing off for years to come, and we've aready proven we are better at the highest level.

8. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

ok, maybe retirement league is a little strong, but you cant say US produces the same talent that Brazil, Italy, France and other countries do...

first off, most MLB players today are hispanic/dominican, or from another foreign country. one of the biggest efforts in the MLB today is to get more american kids involved with Baseball.

and just because alot of kids are playing soccer today, doesnt mean they are going to be any good when they grow up.

that i find impressive, i need to see some proof for that, because im sure if our u20 team beat Brazil Olympic team, it woulduve been on national television.

USA simply isnt as good as other countries in soccer, the MLS isnt popular here, and we dont take it as seriously as other countries. kids today dont go outside and tell there friends, yea i wanna be just like Jason Kreis or Tony Meola, they go outside and they say, i wanna be just like Dwayne Wade or Peyton Manning etc....

9. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

It was the U-20 World Cup. He never said that they beat Brazil's national team. There's no way a group of teenagers would beat Brazil

10. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

well then why did he say the finest stage.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar