Dave McGinnis article interesting

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titan Yapper, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I guess McGinnis might be okay as DC, but I'll never forget that 2003 Cardinals highlight video where he's making the worst locker room speech in history, putting a spin on their terrible season. Something about "the right to expect to win. You've earned that," he said. "You've earned it, and so much more." It was so bad his own guys were trying to stifle laughs behind his back. Bill Simmons carved him a good one in his Page 2 column. I laugh out loud every time I think about it. He could NEVER be our head coach, and I have to wonder how damaging it would be to have him as DC. As long as he doesn't speechify, I guess it's okay.

2. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

Damaging as compared to what, the girly men that we call a defense?

3. Trey

Trey Guest

I'm just glad we kept McGinnis. I've loved him since his days in Arizona. I think he's a very good coach.

4. Thank you CALICO 87

I'm very happy to see that you also like and think that A'sst Head Coach Dave McGinnis is a great Football Coach also. You're a smart man ! I have been a "CARDINALS" fan since the 1960's, and instantly became a "TITANS" fan the day Coach McGinnis came to my new team that I love so very much now ! Coach McGinnis is a great Coach and will always be my "Main-Man" ! I am sure that MY "Tennessee Titans" will improve next season and become contenders once again, and vie for World Championship sooner than everyone else thinks. I will always be the "TITANS" # 1 fan here in New Jersey, and will never stop saying - "LET'S GO TITANS" ! ! !
    Pete Mondiello

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Pete Mondiello - Has a real referee name to it doesnt it. lol.

welcome aboard.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Wow. I've heard of fans that follow players but this fan follows a coach.

It does sound "reffish", doesn't it?

Congratulations on your first post.

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Touche.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Okay. After some rummaging, I found the column that lambasted the speech. If anyone ever read "The Sports Guy" it's under ESPN Insider, Sept. 4, 2003. This is part one of the two-part equation of the 2003 NFL season to notable lines from the movie "Top Gun." All your favorite lines are in there (and I mean all of them) and he almost perfectly equates each one to a situation or a moment in the offseason or prior season. I don't think the line he uses for this is all that memorable, but you'll get the gist. I might later post a couple more of my favorites. Again, think "Top Gun."

"17. "I'm going to take a shower. Thank you. I enjoyed being here."

Just a classic moment in movie history. Has there ever been a stranger stream of dialogue? Did somebody actually write that? Has anyone ever wrapped up a date by saying those words?

Anyway, I enjoyed this sequence so much, and it's brought me so much joy over the past 17 years, I'm giving this one to my favorite coach: the immortal Dave McGinnis, the man responsible for the TV highlight of the summer that didn't involve Nick Lachey, Jessica Simpson, or anyone from Paradise Hotel and the OC.

I'll set the scene: We're about 14 minutes into NFL Films's 2002 Yearbook about the Arizona Cardinals, which was already funny enough because it made their 4-1 start seem like the Normandy Invasion, then casually skipped over the fact that they lost nine of their next 10 games. And McGinnis has already been so over-the-top, it almost defies imagination -- it's like he watched Pacino's locker-room speech in "Any Given Sunday," then spent the summer improvising deleted scenes in front of a bathroom mirror (while downing cups of coffee).

So McGinnis is addressing the team after a dramatic 9-6 win over the Cowboys -- an ESPN Instant Classic if there ever was one -- and his carotid artery is ready to splatter all over the place. Pacing like an absolute maniac, he belts out the following speech:

"What did we expect? (Some grumbling) WHAT DID WE EXPECT??? (Louder grumbling, confusion) We expected it, men. We expected it! And when you expect to win, you earn the right to be there to win. You've earned the right to EXPECT to win. And you've earned much more than that."

Fade to commercial.

Now ...

I'm not sure what any of that means. I'm not sure we'll ever be sure, and if we ever come close to solving the mystery, there will probably be about three bags of marijuana involved. But I can tell you this: During the tail end of the speech, McGinnis walks by one of his players, who's desperately trying not to laugh as his coach belts out the last lines.

So was it one of the greatest moments in NFL history? Right up there with Alan Ameche's 1-yard run, the Kellen Winslow Game, Elway's Drive, Vinatieri's Kick, Lynn Swann's Catch and everything else?

Yeah. I think so. But that's just me. When you expect to laugh, you've earned the right to expect to laugh. And sometimes, you've even earned more than that."

If you've got Insider (durn ESPN won't let go of my credit card) you can read both parts one and two, after much page forwarding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar