Damien Nash?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by smili, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I believe it was hypothyroidism which is easily controlled by medication. Bongo did say that Houston's draft status dropped considerably because of the diagnosed condition (possibly as high as the 2nd round before I think).
    Either way Houston was a decent value in the 5th round (we could of had him in the 6th also because the Jets picked his after us) and Reese freaked because he didn't get one of the guys he wanted in the 4th so he grabbed Nash. Nash had problems with his coach, was immature, had not played many snaps in college and IMO was a much bigger risk than Houston. Add in the fact we might of been able to sign Nash as an UDFA and the pick really looks stupid.

2. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

Read between the lines, IMO: Fisher has repeatedly praised Payton for knowing his assignments in pass protection and for having a comfort level with him there.

It wouldn't be the first time a head coach has been reluctant to put a rookie out there when he had more experienced options who were not as likely to mess up the protection assignments.

It's quite possible that Payton benefitted from the fact that Henry's suspension came so relatively early in the year, after Nash missed a fair amount of time in camp, such that Payton got his chance early on to earn the coaches' trust before Nash got caught up.

Or it's possible Nash hasn't caught up yet, but that doesn't mean it's a given that he never will.

If Curtis Martin and Derrick Blaylock hadn't both suffered injuries in NY, it's quite possible Houston would have disappeared on the depth chart up in NY for his rookie season, too. He was inactive for the first four weeks of the season and didn't get a carry on offense until November, weeks after Blaylock went down. I don't think they put anybody but Martin (or maybe the fullbacks like Sowell, on third down?) into the game between the time Blaylock went down in early October, and a month later when Martin started getting banged up and needed some help.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Yea but at least Houston knows the plays well enough to take a hand off.
    We have yet to see Nash do anything pre-season or during the season. All coments about Nash being a better pure runner than anyone are all speculation because we have only a couple of carries in the pre-season to judge Nash by. If after we drafted Nash someone would have said this guy will be almost invisible his whole rookie year because he isn't quick enough to catch onto his responsibilities even this late in the year (two college seasons worth of games) I think we would have all said give me a break.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Didn't Payton get Volek crushed in the Cards game because he missed a blocking assignment?

No doubt Nash got behind. And Payton may be more consistent, experienced and the better special teams player. But if a decision is needing to be made whether or not to throw more money at Henry, a look at Nash in a game would be valuable even in a limited role.

5. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Fisher's said he isn't going to let Nash carry the ball now. What if he also can't be trusted to block, as Jeff and Nendzone suggested, and if they're right as usual? What if he's not learning his plays, not working hard, and isn't doing a good job in practice, as has also been suggested? I haven't noticed him contributing on special teams, either, in the games he's been active. Add it all up and what do you get? A lot of "ifs"? Or a guy who looks good in the team picture, as the old joke goes?

Can't run, can't block, but looks pretty good in the team picture?

Floyd was desperate to draft another RB and this guy was, and still is, a project who hasn't developed. If he ever will. :brow:

Remember, he missed his first two seasons in college with a knee injury, then was a backup for a year, and finally got to start his fourth year. Then he had some issues with the coach and was benched, leading him to forego another year in college and declare for the draft. His experience is very limited.

I agree they'll probably give him another chance next year in Europe and/or training camp.

6. danny

danny Guest

I emailed Reese with your number and told him to keep it on speed dial for the draft this spring.

7. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

Is that why Houston suited up for, like, four games after Blaylock went down and they never once gave him a carry behind Martin until Martin got hurt?

Sounds to me like they put him in because they had no one else. The Titans had Payton as an option. It's not like I think Payton sucks this year either, it's just I don't think he has a ton of upside and Nash could surpass him in the end based on that.

Fisher also said Payton had been steadily improving on special teams. Something he was having some trouble getting a handle on early on, including most of preseason.

8. smili

smili Starter

Wasn't that Roos's missed block? The guy came untouched and so fast Payton was trying to get there but couldn't. Volek said all he remembers is Payton saying "look out".

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I just remember Dansby coming from the right side. I don't remember if the Cards were blitzing from the other side as well which is why Payton didn't see him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar