DaJohn Harris beats the odds for roster spot

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Six months ago, defensive tackle DaJohn Harris thought his football career might be over.

Today, he’s preparing for Tom Brady and the New England Patriots after becoming perhaps the most surprising selection to the Titans’ 53-man roster.

“To be honest, I didn’t know what to expect coming into camp,” said Harris, an undrafted free agent out of the University of Southern California.

“I knew we had a lot of good guys on the defensive line, but I’m pretty confident in my ability and I know I can play at this level.”

Harris was considered a player likely to be drafted until late February, when doctors found a small hole in his heart, due to a condition known as patent foramen ovale. He was unable to work out at the NFL Combine, and it was only later – after getting clearance from other doctors – that he was able to do individual workouts for teams.

“You know, that (condition) was one of the things I had to do research on to really figute out what exactly it meant,” Harris said. “I went to several doctors and got similar answers in some places, and in other places I got different answers.

“I Just thought to myself, `Man, this is another obstacle I gotta’ overcome, something that’s trying to knock me back.’ I just tried to stay strong and tried to fight it.”

Harris, a former USC teammate of Titans defensive tackle Jurrell Casey, said he tried to stay calm as final cuts approached. In the end, he wound up beating out 2011 seventh-round pick Zach Clayton for a spot.

“Honestly, I just tried to clear my mind, keep my phone available and then don’t worry about it,” Harris said. “I’m a firm believer in God and I know God plays a role in my life. I leave it to Him and whatever He decides, that’s what it’s going to be.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. amy

amy Starter

This young man sounds like a winner! Go for it, DaJohn!

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Glad we got him, and that he made the team! I like when we get college teammates on the same pro team, a la Britt/McCourty. I liked the DE from USC prior to the draft for the same reason. Things work out the way they do for a reason, and I love the Kendall Wright pick.

Now I just start praying for Harris' health, especially with the heart condition.

DJ Harris...Championship!

4. Architect

Architect Pain Train

I called this when we picked him up as a UDFA. Im so happy for the guy. I really do think we have a steal. I cant name another time where we had such quality depth at the DT position like this. The fat boys in the middle are what makes everyone better on defense.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

The D-Line is what excites me most about this upcoming season. There's nothing I like to see more than a QB getting hit. Especially if that QB's name is Tom Brady.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I think it says a lot for Harris because I think they were fairly high on Clayton. But Harris just kept making plays and they could see his upside was pretty strong. Can't wait to see him against the top competition assuming he is active on game day.

7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Amen brother! If we can get after Brady, we will have a great chance to win. If he has all day to throw, we will be in for a long day.

8. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Harris has lots of upside something clayton did not. Glad he made it and I think he will be a good pro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar