D.J. Fluker for RG?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I'm not sure Stewart had that bad of a year.
    The only issue I'd have with Flucker is he might be stricky an OG in the NFL and not neccesarily have the agility (especially if he doesn't keep his weight under control). If Falk is saying to draft Flucker as a RT and move Stewart to OG I'm not sure Fluker would be a better RT or Stewart a better RG. Certainly Fluker could play RT if needed so he would have value there. SO if you are concerned about faster DEs is Fluker really the answer?

That was the whole rationale I had with drafting Matthews if he came out. Not to tall or light in the britches to play OG but has the foot work to move out to eitehr OT.

There are a few other things to consider. While Cooper and Warford are the #2 and #3 rated OGs on the board there is a pretty decent chance one of them is available in the 2nd when we pick. After all when have we seen 3 OGs go in the first 39 picks? And there are also a pretty good lot of OTs expected to go in the first 39 as well. So the bottom line is I bet if we want one of the top 3 OGs we could get one with the depth on both OL and DL this year.

The other consideration is Barrett Jones who could cement the C spot for us for the next decade and next to the OTs I think having a solid C is the next most important OL position. Jones also gives you the most versatility of all the guys that might be available and could move out to one of the OT spots if needed so the value is real good IMO. We can always move Velasco back to OG were he will probably win a starting spot. While I don't see Jones as a long term OT in the NFL he sure gives us assurance if we run into a rash of injuries and have to move guys around. Basically he could play all 5 spots. But his best is probably C were he could step right in and hold that spot for the next decade.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Have we really ever had the personnel or the scheme were we used zone blocking? Hutch, Harris and Lutui aren't exactly zone blocking OGs. Amano or Velasco aren't either at OG or C IMO. Of course that could have been the problem but I'm not 100% sure even the coaches knew what the blocking scheme was.

3. TM

TM Starter

Barrett Jones can also make all the protection calls. I think Locker did this last year so that would take a huge burden off of him.

4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Their are 5 interior OL that I think are worthy to draft with the 39th pick...Warmack, Warford, Cooper, Jones, or Frederick. Never before have 5 interior OL gone off the board before the 39th pick.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

That would be good, cause he's constantly getting blasted by a blitz.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What i don't get about the analysis of Fluker is that he used his size to bully and push around speed rushers like Mingo and Moore but was not victimized by them in protection. And honestly he only gave up that one sack to Jarvis Jones but it was not a total wif type sack, McCarron doubled pumped and Lacy was very poor in protection.

These are the 3 of the 4 best speed rushers in this draft!

Against the 350 lb John Jenkins Fluker again was dominant.

Fluker handled 240 lb speed rushers and 350 lb NT who will be 1st rd picks. He especially handled them when the game was on the line. What more would you want? This is a man who can play 3 line positions. RT,RG,LG.

The top 4 LT(Joekel, Fisher, johnson, Pugh) average 305 lbs. Fluker weighed 339. Fluker should be considered an elite prospect o the o-line.

7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The depth of the OL group this yr makes it more and more tempting to go with another position in the #10 spot. We are virtually guaranteed to have an OL guy at #39 that we can plug in and start from day #1.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Chris Faulk of LSU has some similar characteristics to Fluker. Similar size he played LT for LSU but projects to RT in the nfl and could be a guard.

Not as dominant as a run blocker and he had some injuries so he would be a 3rd rd pick and is good value there. Baily the Arkansas guard could be had in rd 3 also.

So one could argue that we could wait until rd 3 and draft a couple of quality guys there with our 2 picks but they are not the automatic starters you can plug in like Warmack or Fluker are.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Actually if we draft an OG or an OT to play OG they should be automatic starters. 1st, 3rd is pretty high for OGs to begin with and 2nd, the bar isn't exactly real high on who they need to beat out to win the spot. So we shold be able to get a guy who can step in and start at OG or C in the 3rd round IMO or we don't need to draft the guy.

Remember Bell was a 5th round pick and although he wasn't anoited the starter from game one he played in all 16 games when PIllar got injured. And he did very well. Well, find another guy like that.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

If we do sign a guy like Levitre then the 2 picks in rd 3 would be well suited for o-linemen. Barret Jones could even fall to the early third rd. Faulk could be had with our late comp pick. Then rd 4 is good for drafting a safety like Lester.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar