Cut CJ for next year or keep 'em?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Pacman 4 HoF, Dec 20, 2011.

?
  1. keep him for the 2012-2013 season

63 vote(s)
    74.1%
  2. cut em, save the money

22 vote(s)
    25.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

Im happy CJ got paid a little bit... but payin him anymore would be robbery. Kid is useless as a stick... cut em

for the unaware:

Johnson has $17 million of his total of $30 million guaranteed, which currently is guaranteed for injury only. It's not guaranteed for skill (diminished production). Of that $17 million, $8 million does not convert to skill guarantee until the fifth day of the 2012 waiver period (early March). The remaining $9 million converts on fifth day of the 2013 waiver period.
    So the Titans conceivably could release him for decline in skill -- assuming he continues to struggle -- after one season of the long-term extension and not owe him anything more beyond his $13 million in 2011 pay. Of course, it's highly likely the Titans will give Johnson at least another season and pay him $22 million over the first two years of the deal.

2. therealtrueblue

therealtrueblue Camp Fodder

i say we have to give him one more season. he has clearly lost a step and is seems to be running unmotivated but as long as we cant pass the ball and our OL cant get any push any HB we stick back there is going to suck. so we might as well keep him and hope with a lockout and holdout-less offseason he can become a shadow of his old self (which is still pretty good)

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Just to quote from an NFL article:

"Johnson has $17 million of his total of $30 million guaranteed, which currently is guaranteed for injury only. It's not guaranteed for skill (diminished production). Of that $17 million, $8 million does not convert to skill guarantee until the fifth day of the 2012 waiver period (early March). The remaining $9 million converts on fifth day of the 2013 waiver period.

So the Titans conceivably could release him for decline in skill -- assuming he continues to struggle -- after one season of the long-term extension and not owe him anything more beyond his $13 million in 2011 pay. Of course, it's highly likely the Titans will give Johnson at least another season and pay him $22 million over the first two years of the deal."

Personally, I think having him workout in Nashville the entire offseason will pay dividends and he'll be much improved in '12 assuming the Titans make some changes on the OL.

• High Five High Five x 9
  4. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

I agree he gets one more year and we make him stay here and train. I think that is much of the problem. Talk about a big hit next year how much is hasslbeck gonna make next year is really 10 million? Thats hard to swallow for a back up to me.

Lets have a poll about cutting Amano and see what we get?

5. Ewker

Ewker Starter

that is the best thing they put in his contract. He has to be here instead of staying in Fl.

6. bigdogtitan

bigdogtitan Camp Fodder

Can someone please ask CJ IF HE REALLY WANTS to be a Titan? He and griffin were VY jock sniffers?

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I'm telling you guys, 80% of the problem is the OL. CJ is getting hit almost immediately after he's handed the ball (see the Amano play last game). Give us a stud center in the mold of Mawae and draft a guard or two and you'll see the old CJ back.

Granted CJ is dancing in the backfield and looks hesitant, when he should just hit the hole, but as TitanJeff said, some changes on the OL could do wonders for CJs production.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

If he hadn't had those few huge games when everything was clicking, I would be pushing hard for the Titans to release him. Now that we've seen that he does still have the potential to be elite and isn't completely washed up, I think they need to keep him. Take the off-season to focus on improving the run game. With good blocking, I think he can still be a difference-maker in 2012 and the years ahead. He'll never be the 2009 version of himself again, but he can still be a top 5 (or top 10 at least) running back.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

I say give him one more season. He pulled some BS on us this season, but hopefully that motivates him to excel next season.

I also say we need to consider our future though. CJ isn't going to be on top of his game when the Jake Locker era begins (which I imagine will be season after next). So I think looking into developing a new non-CJ centric style run game is of the utmost importance, and I wouldn't argue with snagging an extremely talented young RB along the way.

10. titanflamer

titanflamer Starter

He can still sit out but it will cost him. I cant remember how much but it seems like 300k to 500K . Chump change to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar