Craig Stevens

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

What I find really silly about this is we have a thread questioning the pick of a guy who has only played one year and hasn't gotten a lot of opportunities. What we need is a thread bashing a player who was picked in the third round, been here three years, and in the team's weakest unit has accomplished nothing. It's too early to bash Craig. But this is the perfect to give Paul Williams a big "WTF?". I just can't see how we can concentrate on Stevens when that disaster of a pick is still on the team.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

so...

So that's a good reason to draft a TE this year if we aren't expecting to keep Crumpler past this season. Draft his replacement THIS YEAR, let him learn for a year. It takes at LEAST as long for rookie WR's to get up to speed, wouldn't you say?

Gut

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think Stevens is Crumpler's replacement. I don't see him as having the same skill set as Scaife but, in the event the Titans don't look to sign Scaife long-term, I think they may look at TE in this draft. They have plenty of picks to use one at TE.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Exactly...

So if we had...say traded our 3rd to move up to get DeSean Jackson and sat him for a year, we could have DS at WR for this season AND still draft Crump's eventual replacement this season. Now we'll blow 2 years of Stevens rookie contract instead of one and still have a much bigger hole at WR with a need at CB.

Gut

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

And if my aunt had nads, she'd be my uncle. ;)

I was all for Jackson last draft and was ticked we took CJ. Thank goodness the front office doesn't come to goTitans.com for draft advice.

Did I like the Steven's pick? Nope. But the Titans offense has to have two solid TEs in it and if Crump goes down, then Dinger doesn't need a UFA on the field. I personally think there were some concerns with Crump's wheels and I have no problem with the Titans drafting depth at a key position if they felt he was the BPA.

Time will tell whether he's a good pick or another Shad Meier.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

QFT. This thread is pointless. Draft picks should be evaluated after ~3 years...

If it wasn't for the combination of fiery chicken wings and beer, I would just be ignoring this thread...

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Wow, why weren't you complaining a year ago at every single person that had a vince young thread? Why weren't you complaining a year ago about every LW thread? Why aren't you complaining at everyone that bashed Chris Henry recently? It hasn't been 3 years.

And better than that...

How can you totally contradict yourself and complain about a player that has only been here 2 years! Clearly, you didn't even realize that.

The only thing that pisses me off more than some of Jesse or some of Gloat's posts, are posters that accuse those having discussions of whining and stating threads are pointless.

If it's whining and pointless WHY ARE YOU EVEN RESPONDING?

I've seen several posters have a discussion about our 3rd round draft pick last season, which is what the original poster asked for.

The only one whining in this thread is you.

8. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

I am responding b/c I am on my 3rd rum and coke. Otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.

Would you like to cite some references on my whining about VY, LW, or CH? I find your memory of my statements difficult to reconcile with my posting history.

I give the benefit of the doubt and wait a reasonable time to assess picks. That is a little different that torching a rook b/c he got little time behind a pair of established vets as you seem to deem "reasonable".

You might want to check your quotes, because second quote was not what I said even though I agreed with it. Your altering it to display it as "my" quote is misleading and undermines your credibility.

Also note the "~" in front of "3", which indicates "approximately". I didn't say "≥3". I said "~3". In most cases 3 years is sufficient to judge picks.

I believe Paul Williams is on the hot seat after 2 years b/c he has shown NOTHING while we had a scrubfest at WR. If he continues to show nothing I do not expect him on the final 53-man roster.

I think Chen gets a semi-pass due to the fact that we had two very solid RBs in front of him coupled with a few glimmers of hope from 2007. This probably expires if he doesn't show something this year.

Stevens was behind a pair of quality vets at a position where the #3 doesn't get much playing time; thus he gets a pass for year one while learning the ropes...So calling him out as a wasted pick after one year seems rather silly when your alternative was to replace him with depth at another position.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Then catch up son, I'm on crown and coke number 4.

I won't lie. I particularly don't like the selection of Craig Stevens.

But I've barely mentioned that here. What I am dissing is the "strategy" of drafting a non-needed position early in last year's draft.

Ack, you are correct. I apologize, that was out of line on my part. I should've proofread better.

Again, the strategy not the player is what I'm griping about here.

I totally agree. In fact, I wouldn't be as kind.

I dunno, he's in the Paul Williams boat as far as I'm concerned. He might be driving the boat instead of drowning in it, but he's still sinking.

That's the reason I'm against drafting him. He's not just behind one vet, he's behind two vets. One that was under contract to be on the roster this season. Another that we shouldn't be trying to replace, unless the money becomes extreme, because we have more important areas to address.

I can be a real :grrr::grrr::grrr: hole. Hopefully if you re-read the more tactful and meaningful posts by TJ and Gut you'll find this thread more enlightening and less whining. Enjoy your beverages! :cheers3:

10. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Damn.

I just wanted to take a shot at Paul Williams. Which is more disturbing? A rookie not getting play behind two pretty good tight ends or a second year (entering his third year now) player who couldn't even get on the active roster despite a complete lack of talent ahead of him at his position. Hell, at least Stevens made the active roster.

I must have missed where I whined and complained that somebody starting the thread? The gist of what I was saying was that it's too early to be on Stevens' case, and instead we should turn our angst towards another 3rd round pick who has done nothing while being in a much better position to get playing time.

And in complaining about somebody whining, aren't you essentially whining about whining, which makes as much of a whiner as any other whiner? :yes:

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar