Craig Stevens stepping up..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The vast majority of players on the team never touch the football. If they are on offense, they're a big part of the reason those that do are either successful or not. Dinger said Stevens' role on the team was essential and, just because he's not the target of 10 passes a game, doesn't mean he's not a "difference maker".

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

In the same respect though, there was never a single play where he was blocking that one could say, if he weren't there it would be vastly different results (for the worse) unless you tried plugging in a blocker specifically bad. There are generally single plays that could say only <10 players could pull off that same play.

A difference making blocker is far less valuable than a difference making ballcarrier.

I'd take a middle of the pack QB/WR/RB over a top 5 blocking TE any day.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

So how much worse do you think the team would be without Stevens right now? Be specific, how many more losses would we have if we had a different blocking TE on the team? Another hypothetical, if we had Blount and committed to give him 25% of carries this season, and we did not have Stevens (and did not replace with another blocking TE), how much worse would this team be right now?

Clearly you think we would be significantly worse, so I want to know how much.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Middle of the pack RBs and WRs have little value they are a dime a dozen.

Stevens hardly caught any balls for Cal since they had Desean Jackson and Lavelle Hawkins yet he still was 2nd team all Pac-10. Somebody obviously saw the value in having a good blocker.

Next year Scaife won't be here so it will create more opportunities for Stevens as a receiver and Cook will obviously get his chance.

Remember this is a mid 3rd rd pick not a first rd pick. I agree you wouldn't draft a guy like that in rd 1.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Not sure what scrambled thinking links Blount being here with Stevens not being here. Everything has to be a conflict i guess.:sad2:

What i would have liked to see is Blount carrying the ball with Hall and Stevens blocking for him. Letting Blount go was a mistake that is obvious.

I don't know how that makes Stevens any less valuable.

Can never have too many tough guys.

6. costarica2

costarica2 Banned forever

I think Stevens is one or the most Solid players in our team only Ross and stewart are more solid.

But his not a playmaker on the passing game which I think Cook is.

7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I hope you're right.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

We'd be 1-7. There. Prove otherwise.

Seriously, my comments on the importance of a blocking TE in the Titans offensive scheme comes from Heimerdinger himself.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/ar...-Offense/f13e37e1-4acb-484f-b696-384db28125a4

Now Dinger could be just getting big yucks with the other offensive coaches over the BS he's spouting to the media OR, just maybe, he feels a blocking TE is essential in a running offense and Stevens is doing a good job.

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Complaining about Stevens is ridiculous.. The guy has made some clutch plays this season, above and beyond just blocking. A role player doing his job.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I wasn't asking for proof. I was asking for opinion, which you provided.

I certainly don't think Stevens has made 4 game difference this season. I also realize you were being sarcastic.

Here's my real issue. A lot of people will bash the thought of re-signing Blount, yourself included because you don't think he would even dress on Sundays. Myself, I wasn't upset that we didn't keep Blount as I didn't think he was really any good. All evidence is to the contrary but it seems all anyone wants to say is "we wouldn't use him." I'm envious of the Chiefs two-back system this season. I think if we had that going for us, it might make the difference between Superbowl Champion or not. (bringing this back around to Stevens....)

There just seems this odd level of support for "special teams players" and "blocking TEs". Yes they are important role players. Yes Craig Stevens, after two years of nothing, has developed into a good blocking TE.

I'd rather have a raging two-headed unstoppable running attack at the expense of a blocker that plays 50% of the offense.

I do not understand the overwhelming love fest for someone that finally plays on offense in a blocking role that has 1 td in 8 games. I don't think it should take 3 years to develop a blocking TE. And I really think there is some overvaluing of "blocking TE" and "special teams players" around here.

People want to say a RB like Blount is a dime a dozen. I wish we would have spent that dime on one before the season, it looks like it would improve our team considerably from my viewpoint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar