Coyle Mock

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TitanJeff, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Not necessarily because the position is so much more.

I want a QB who makes fast decisions under pressure, can manage the clock, can hit a five-yard slant in stride, can make the players around him play harder, is consistent, can make the right play change at the line, etc.

I don't know if a Wonderlic test can tell scouts that. You can only get it by watching how he's handled himself at the college level. To me, that is Leinart's strength and makes up for some of his lack of arm strength and mobility.

2. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

No way. If anyone wants Leinart, all they have to do is trade with the Saints at 2. Reggie Bush will be the first player taken, whether is by Houston or somebody else.

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Well I agree with your point, but Im not sure that Cutler hasnt shown all those things as well, surrounded by much less talent. The leadership and consistency aspects are just speculation though. Sure Leinart could lead the most talented team in the country, but can he lead a team thats picking 2nd or 3rd in the draft and has a lot of unproven talent? Anybody can lead a winning team, not every can lead a struggling team and Leinart never had to face that at USC.

So again, if Cutler has better physical tools than Leinart then Im not sure you can take Leinart over him. All the intangibles are things that are going to had to play out but Cutler has shown that he can be a leader and an intelligent QB just as much as Leinart has.

4. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Leinart won a lot of games at USC in crunch time. I saw Cutler come close plenty of times, but never quite saw him pull it out (minus the UT game this year).

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Your right, but dont you think that the talent surrounding them might have had something to do with the results? Cutler was on historically the worst program in the best conference in the country and he helped make them competitive. Leinart was on the most talented team in the country and didnt even win the national championship. I dont buy this idea that Leinart is more of a leader, or has more intangibles than Cutler for a second.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think two National Championships and nearly a third shows consistency. Could Cutler have done the same at USC? Many think so but I'm not as convinced.

7. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I think that Cutler didn't make Vanderbilt competitive until the last half of his final year and he still didn't beat any teams that made a bowl. This may or may not reflect as heavily on him as it does the Vanderbilt program.

Leinart, on the other hand, took what Carson started and turned USC into a powerhouse. USC has had talent, no doubt, but there are a LOT of talented teams with good qb's that never make it to a championship.

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

2 national championships with an offense that also featured Bush, White, Mike Williams, etc etc. If he didnt win 2 national championships he would be a huge bust because of all that talent he had around him. Honestly, I think John David Booty (or whatever his name is), USCs backup could have had that team in the national championship game. And Im not trying to knock Leinart, but you have to keep in perspective that Leinart was on one of the most talented offenses in college history. And sure he helped make it that, but he was by no means the lone cause for them being that good.

Again, I think Cutler taking a dreadful program, that plays in the top conference in the country, and making them competitive is just as impressive as Leinart doing what he did when you take into consideration the talent he had around him.

I also think its funny, that the one game that USC lost was because the QB of the other team played at a level that Leinart couldnt rise too, yet we are talking about him and his great leadership and big game abilities. (and yes Leinart played well in the rose bowl, but the fact is Texas won because their QB lead them to the win and Leinart and Bush couldnt match him.)

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I think that calling him a bust if he didn't win with that talent is a very large stretch. He had to make a ton of plays to keep USC undefeated. There are very few, if any, other qb's that would have made the same plays in the spots he was in. Look at Young. Last year, he had a much better supporting cast than he did this year. They had one bad game against OK that cost them their entire season.

There are many teams with a great deal of talent that never win anything. There can be only one (or two :p) champion.

10. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

The fact of the matter is Leinart was a part of one of the most talented college offenses probably ever and had a great career. But you dont draft a guy based on how good is college career was, you draft based on how good you think they will be in the NFL. And in my opinion, Young and probably Cutler are going to be better pros than Leinart. Thats not saying Leinart will be bad, but I dont see him being an elite NFL Qb either. And if we are picking a QB at #3 they need to turn out to be in the Manning, Palmer, McNair level, and I dont see Leinart being that level. Just my opinion and its all speculation of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar