Cowboys Not Going to Try Hard to Re-Sign FAs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Saw on KFFL that the Cowboys are not going to try hard to re-sign their FAs. Included in that list are DE Chris Canty, who is a freak at 6'7" 300lbs, as well as Kevin Burnett for the UT homers. Said they will try to extend DeMarcus Ware. Any interest?

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=1

I hope this extends to RFAs such as Miles Austin, and I somehow think it will. I've read the Cowboys have a couple of receivers below Austin they like about as much. You've got Hurd, and apparently someone below that. I feel they'll let Austin walk with T.O., Williams and Crayton ahead of him, and Hurd can come off the bench, too.

2. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Austin and Hurd seem like guys Tennessee would be interested in, young receivers with lots of upside. Gage was like that for Chicago as was Wade so it would be interesting to see if we went after them.

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Cowboys blew out a slew of receivers they liked better than Autsin in preseason last year.
    Those guys are probably healthy now.. Guy was a gamer - not sure he has the speed or hands but lots of heart..

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I'd be a little interested in trying to get Canty. I watch a lot of Cowboys games and he's decent in their scheme, but it's hard to say how he'd do in ours. Looks like a decent athlete so that's a plus for us. No interest if we sign big Al of course.

Burnett is a quick/fast LB like we like. I've always thought he'd do well here, and could likely be a solid starter (he's their nickle LB). Problem is he's had a lot of knee trouble.

We seem to find decent junkpile WR's. Usually from Da Bears, but why not the Cowboys too? :yes:

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Once we start dipping on a team, it becomes a trend. We already got Fowler. I've been waiting for us to go back to this well.

I like Canty's size, and I don't think he sucks. He could be added as a swing player on the line, and if we lose Dave Ball in FA, I wouldn't mind him to rotate in with KVB. You know he'll shut the run down as a 4-3 end with that size, but he can be another DT experiment as well. I'll leave that up to the coaches though, but he's an intriguing guy with that size.

6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Canty reminds me of a Robaire type with his size. He's also freakishly athletic, but he's been playing in a 3-4 so he hasn't been able to improve his pash rushing skills technically. When he stays healthy, he makes plays. If we lose Big Al, I would go after him immediately too. But he could make strides in our Defense with Washburn.

7. eTitan81

eTitan81 Touchdown Titans

If we go pick up a WR in FA it shouldn't be Miles. We need a number one guy and I don't think Miles is a number one guy.

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I guess part of it is how will out defense change with a new coordinator? Or will it? I don't think Canty works out well here at DE with what we've been using at DE - quick/fast speed rushers. Now he should fit inside as a guy who can get upfield quick from the interior.

He could maybe be a Kevin Carter type (later years), but I'd be surprised if they went that way with a DE.

9. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I like Canty, but a team that needs a 3-4 DE will pay him much more to be a full-time DE than we would for him to be a "swing-player".

I think Rex Ryan and the Jets would be drooling about getting him, if Parcells and the Dolphins don't jump in there first.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree he would get more as a starting DE in a 3-4, but the Cowboys aren't re-signing him for a reason, and they are a 3-4 team. The real problem I see with our scheme is that Canty would be in the same space as Tony Brown and Jason Jones on the inside, but who's to say he couldn't add 20 pounds to his frame and be an AH spaceholder? I think the best fit I see him is as a Dave Ball replacement to backup KVB and kick inside on occasion, unless we sign AH and they think he would be a good guy to spell Al. I think Jacob Ford will get an extension eventually, and Fisher and Schwartz will be bidding on Dave Ball's services for the upcoming season, with Detroit, or someone, likely winning out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar