Cowboys have fired DC Rob Ryan

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Shanvhere, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Quite possibly.

I think Gray should stay. We are one or two pieces away from having a really good defense in my view and I saw enough in the 2nd half of this season to show that he could make adjustments when needed.

I put the majority of blame for our season on our inept offense.

Whilst we ranked dead last in points allowed this season, we ranked 16th in yards/play, 12th in sacks, 12 in INTs and 8th in Forced Fumbles. Our defense regularly had a short field and we also were 2nd last in Time of Possession due to our inability to sustain drives on offense.

Dallas actually ranked worse than us in every one of those stats (except for INTs). I don't see Rob Ryan as some messiah.

2. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

His hair is so beautiful

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I bet he uses Soul Glo

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Did you see the injuries they had? Seriously dude, dont back up Gray. I'm on tapatalk and dont wanma type the reasons.. they're too obvious. Wake up.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It's midday here, he's wide awake.

6. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

If we were talking Romeo Crennel, that's a different discussion.

Defensive Co-oridnators are too often made the scapegoat. Schwartz was a classic example.

I bet you can search this site and find polls wanting to sack Schwartz every year he was here. The Titans defense in 2005 and 2006 was abysmal and ranked in the bottom 5 in the NFL in points, yardage and almost everything else.

With exactly the same co-ordinator, the Titans were ranked 3rd and 2nd respectively in defense in 2007 and 2008 and went to the playoffs both years.

So what changed. Well, personnel wise, we added Hope, Harper and Griffin. That was it.

The players got more comfortable in the system they were asked to play and the defensive co-ordinator got more comfortable (and potentially more aggressive) in the defense they ran.

Gray was DC in Buffalo from 2001 to 2005. In 2003 and 2004 (his 3rd and 4th year), Gray's defense ranked 2nd in the NFL. He has proven he can coach at this level.

We don't need change for changes sake.

Rob Ryan is a lot of noise but hasn't got a better record than Gray.

Here is where his Defense has ranked (out of 32 teams) since he left the Patriots and became a DC.

2004 - 31
    2005 - 24
    2006 - 18
    2007 - 25
    2008 - 23
    2009 - 21
    2010 - 13
    2011 - 16
    2012 - 23

No Rob Ryan coached defense has EVER qualified for the playoffs.

7. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

He should get a tattoo of his significant other wearing a #9 jersey?

8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Better in the second half? Lets look at the last 8 games.

CHI: 51 points allowed
    MIA: 3 points allowed (NOTE: Best weapon, Reggie Bush, benched for a fumble)
    JAX: 24 points allowed
    HOU: 24 points allowed (21 in the first half, Schaub had like 7 attempts in 2nd half)
    INDY: 27 points allowed
    NYJ: 10 points allowed
    GB: 55 points allowed
    JAX: 20 points allowed

Average of 26.75 points allowed per game. Say what you want, make whatever excuse you want, but when you're 32nd in the league in points allowed and you're the leader of that defense…. you shouldn't have a job.

That's like being a car salesman and not selling a car all year, would you keep your job?

I hate that people say Gray improve at the end of the year. He started blitzing more is all. We feared on the crappy QBs who couldn't adjust to the blitzing.

Rob Ryan had to deal with his Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, Jay Ratliff, and DeMarcus Ware injuries all year… his best defensive players. Rob inherited a team that was 31st in the league in defense, and he made them better.

However, I don't see Rob coming here… so I don't know why we're debating this. I do think Gray can turn it around. Especially because it's not like we have any stars on this defense. But his scheme pisses me off, this whole CBs 10 yards off thing toasted us all year, he didn't change it. We have Ayers/Brown all year, why didn't you use them until like Week 11? Mike Martin, where was his playing time. Why did you start Robert Johnson at the start of the year, he's awful. He made some changes for the better at the end of the year, but why did it take that long? These are changes that should of been made like Week 3!

9. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

^ lol ya improved at the end of the year?!?! what a f$%#$n joke! The packers hung 55 POINTS ON US!

55 points. How do our head coach, and two coordinators have jobs?

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Those are really great points Carpy, I was definitely one of the ones who hated Schwartz and his system. We sucked so hard and then as you mention we totally turned things around and had a top defense. Nothing in his scheme changed at all, personnel improved. Not to mention AH's beastly play made us legit.

As for Gray I had no idea that he did so well in Buffalo. I'd hate to dump him without a better replacement just for the sake of making a change. That would set us back way too far and wouldn't make sense at all. Regardless of who we have at DC we need to improve the roster on the defensive side of the ball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar