Court overturns father's grounding of 12-year-old

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Alpha-Centuri, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

OTTAWA (AFP) - A Canadian court has lifted a 12-year-old girl's grounding, overturning her father's punishment for disobeying his orders to stay off the Internet, his lawyer said Wednesday.

The girl had taken her father to Quebec Superior Court after he refused to allow her to go on a school trip for chatting on websites he tried to block, and then posting "inappropriate" pictures of herself online using a friend's computer.

The father's lawyer Kim Beaudoin said the disciplinary measures were for the girl's "own protection" and is appealing the ruling.

"She's a child," Beaudoin told AFP. "At her age, children test their limits and it's up to their parents to set boundaries."

More Here

Wow... Only in Canada right? Now when you ground your kids... Pray they don't take you to court. They might win. :greedy:

2. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

I expect to see a full hour of law and order on this within the next month.....

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

terrible decision. if a child misbehaves online a parent should be able to forbid usage. kids don't have internet rights. they have revocable privileges. I use youtube time as a motivator for my own child. He turns five next month.

4. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

:biglaugh:

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

what's so funny about that? he's a big Godzilla fan. He likes to surf the youtube for Godzilla, transformers and star wars... mainly Godzilla lately. That kid is so well behaved. He does whatever I ask especially when youtube is involved. Children need reward motivation. Kids like all kinds of stuff. Internet isn't much different from candy, tv, movies, popcorn, ect.. I can also use the threat of no youtube as a deterrent against misbehavior. Every morning he rushes through his dressing, shower, hygiene routine in order to plop down for a few youtubes before it's off to daycare.

I don't know noob, what are your parenting techniques?

or is it the idea of a 4 year old surfing the web hysterical to you? :wink2:

In 1982 when I was four years old there was no internet.
    There was DARPA... but no streaming Incredible Hulk, Dukes of Hazard or A-Team.

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Show him some Titans highlights.

7. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

He better like defense, cause the offensive highlight tape is pretty bland :ha:

I agree that this was a terrible ruling. Very slippery slope if the appeal is denied. Soon there will be slander cases, and suing for reparations of emotional damage... Parents will be walking on egg shells when a child disobeys.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Got the spot ready for the Harvard Diploma?

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Ugh, this all started when they quit letting parents spank. Spanking and abuse aren't the same thing. Thank goodness this is a canadian story.

10. PickledMidget

PickledMidget Camp Fodder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar