could we be working on a switch to a 3-4 ?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Puck, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

yeah, it does. we dont have the personel to do it. thornton or bulluck would not be able to hold the edge the way 280 lbs end would, making our run defense even worse.

2. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

actualy not true....speed can be more of a force than power

3. Fry

look at all the teams that run the 3-4. look how big their linebackers are

dallas:
    ayodele- 250
    carpenter- 257
    ellis- 270
    ware- 257

new england:
    banta-cain- 250
    bruschi- 247
    vrabel- 261
    colven- 250

our linebackers:
    bulluck- 232
    thornton- 230
    tulloch- 230
    fowler- 250(former 3-4 backer)

i guess i could do all of them if i had to, but i think i proved my point....it's not happening.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Moving to a 3-4..

We have drafted several guys like ford. Laboy, kearse, hall, thomas all smaller, faster DEs. We never stood any of those guys up and went to a 3-4. We were just looking for some speed that's all.

I can't believe that people think that a 5th and a 6th rd pick would be reason enough to change our whole scheme. No way! Besides look who are d-coordinator is. Same guy right?

5. titan_fan_4ever

if u look @ the steelers ull c tehy average about 240 per backer....

6. Fry

still 10-15 more than ours. face it kid, it's not happening.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

KVB is quick, and really a good athlete for a DE. I could see him possably being a 3-4 SLB. A guy like Greg Ellis, who himself didn't think he could make the switch, actually did ok in his 1st year of the switch until he was injured.

Ford may be able to play the other side. LaBoy looks a little stiff for it, but may be able to play LB some.

But now our two best LB's, KB and DT, have no place to go. ILB's in the 34 have to take on blocks more often, are are usually big guys. We don't want those 2 in the middle.

Al, even though tall, can usually handle double teams well. But then you don't ask him to penatrate, which his his best ability.

Long and Starks could maybe play 3-4 end.

We haven't built a 3-4 roster. We have some guys who could maybe do ok at some positions, but it's still not realistic imo. But they may have some packages (especially with the addition of Ford, and possably A. Johnson on the nose), that have some 3-4ish concepts. They've done it before, and maybe could try it more (can't get much worse).

8. titan_fan_4ever

im not sayin that we could do it really well...all im sayin is that we might be able to ...u never no...not 10-15...more like 6-10lbs...an that wont make such a huge diff...the speed our guys hv could make up for it...like i said we just wont know....

9. Fry

yes, yes, we do know, you're just not willing to accept it.

10. titan_fan_4ever

so ur sayin that ur a 100% sure taht we cannot opperate as a 3-4? b/c if u are than u truely dont know nything bout this game

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar