Could we be the 1986 New York Giants this year?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

bad thread makin h8ers gonna make bad threads and hate news at 11

OOOOO YOU GOT TOLD.

2. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

I still love the optimism here, I just don't see anywhere near a Super Bowl team here. We have an iffy QB, iffy WRs, a D-line that gets almost NO pass rush, and a secondary that got shredded last season. Yeah I know all that can be fixed, but it's tough to see it happening. But I do expect a .500+ season every year, so why not.. I'm so jealous of those Colt fans who honestly thought they were going to go like 6-10 last year and ended up going 11-5. WHY CAN'T THAT EVER HAPPEN TO US?

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I think we can be very good this year ... I don't know if I would say a Super Bowl is in our future (at least in 2014), but only because it takes SOOO many things to bounce the right way for a team to win it all. Its not always the 'best' team that wins it. It takes luck, getting hot at the right time, players staying healthy, and what matchups you get in the playoffs.

I do think we will be a much improved, playoff contending team this year. I think last year was a little bit of a 'flukey' type year for us. We had SOO many injuries on the OL (that wasn't very good to begin with). I truly believe that poor OL play had far reaching affects on our team last year. From the obvious, like not getting CJ clean lanes very often, to the way the D performed.

I really don't think our D was that bad last year. At lot of games, even some of the games we got blown out it in, the D played decent for a large % of the game, but at some point between the turnovers, field position, and number of possessions something had to break ... and that was the D

2 blowouts I look at are against Hou (1st game) and Chicago.... We were pretty evenly matched with Houston the 1st time we played them. The D allowed a couple quick scores at 1st but really settled down and started to shut down the Texan's O. That was until Hass threw 2 ints that were returned for touchdowns. That really just broke the game open for Houston.

Then look at the Chicago game. We turned the ball over 5 times. 1 int returned for a TD, and 4 fumbles. Half the day the Bears were starting field position inside their own 50 yard line. I really consider this performance 'flukey' ... I mean 5 turnovers in 1 game is just ridiculous. Not saying we would've won that game, but it most likely isn't a blow out if we replayed them the next week.

I'm not saying our D was good last year, but the point is a lot of pressure was put on the D by the O making them look worse than they really were. And I still think that most of the problems on the O stemmed from the OL. Sure we had other problems on the team, but that was the glaring weakness IMO.

Even amid those weaknesses, we were a 6-10 team ... could've easily been an 8-8 team too. There were some games lost that should've been won (but can be said for any team)

So considering the upgrades on the OL and D, I think we are in a really good position to make some noise this year, and I don't think last year showed what this team was really capable of.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Here is what we need for Super Bowl
    1. Injuries kept to a reasonable minimum
    2. Locker to play like Ben Roethlesberger
    3. The O-line to be as good as we expect
    4. At least 3 guys on D to play at a pro-Bowl level with no one playing poorly

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

That should be easy with Brown and Ayers. If McCarthy stays healthy thats three. I'd imagine Pollard keeps the secondary in check.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. The Hammer

I am hoping Morgan could get to that level. He left off last season looking great.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

He left off last season looking average, I agree.

8. The Hammer

Sims was on the roster for Super Bowl 25. But Jeff Hostetler started all the playoff games and the Super Bowl that year. By the next time the Giants won a Super Bowl Sims was in the broadcast booth.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

So what happens when Crutches McCarthy hits the lottery and stays healthy all season, only to turn out to be uber subpar?

10. The Hammer

Moises Foku will replace him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar