Could officiating tendencies favor Titans pass rush?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Terry McAulay will be the referee for Saturday's divisional round playoff game between Baltimore and Tennessee at LP Field.</p> <p>In the Week 5 meeting between the teams, overseen by Bill Carollo's crew, 21 penalties were called. The Ravens were flagged 11 times for 91 yards and the Titans 10 times for 78 yards.</p> <p>The Titans did not play in a game officiated by McAulay this season while the Ravens had his crew once, in a Dec. 7 win over Washington when the Redskins were whistled for seven penalties for 39 yards and the Ravens four times for 35 yards.</p> <p>ESPN Research had some quality tidbits on McAulay:</p> <p>-- McAulay's crew has called the fifth-most false start penalties (42) and the third-fewest offsides penalties (13).</p> <p>That favors the defensive lines, which may be able to time their get-offs with less worry while the offensive linemen blocking them may need to be extra careful about twitching. The Titans' defense counts on get-off from its front four more than the Ravens, who run a 3-4 and generate more of their pass pressure through numbers and blitzes.</p> <p>-- McAulay's crew ranks near the bottom in defensive pass interference calls (seven).</p> <p>That could favor the Ravens, as their top receiver, Derrick Mason, is physical. Tennessee's Justin Gage and Justin McCareins are hardly finesse players, but they have done far less over time to prove they can make plays against hands-on coverage.</p> <p>McAuley's crew ranked in the middle of the pack of 17 crews in three of the most significant broad categories. We include the No. 1 and No. 17 crew for context.</p> <p>Total penalties per game (not all accepted)</p> <p>1. Walt Anderson 15.3<br clear="none" /> 8. Terry McAulay 13.5<br clear="none" /> 17. Walt Coleman 9.9<br clear="none" /> <br clear="none" /> Total penalty yards per game</p> <p>1. Ron Winter 113.8<br clear="none" /> T8. Terry McAulay 88.7<br clear="none" /> 17. Walt Coleman 67.1<br clear="none" /> <br clear="none" /> Penalties against home team (total, not all accepted)</p> <p>1. Ron Winter 124<br clear="none" /> 9. Terry McAulay 100<br clear="none" /> 17. Walt Coleman 65</p> <p>According to data compiled by ESPN.com's AFC West maven Mike Sando, since 2002 the Ravens are 3-8 in games refereed by McAulay (1-4 on the road) while the Titans are 3-4 (2-3 at home). Those numbers may or may not mean anything.</p>

More...

2. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Honestly, false start and offsides numbers are irrelevant. They are what they are.

I'd be more interested to see how often his crew calls holding on offensive lines or pass interference because these are somewhat judgement calls.

3. Crow-Magnon

Crow-Magnon Guest

I swear, I never thought I'd see the day when fans started tracking which officials were calling what games. And tracking their stats.

And trust me, it's on every team's forums. I find it sad in a way. But with the gross errors made by the officials this season, it's understandable.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

yeah. What percentage of false start-offsides are judgement calls, 20%?

Pure coincidence that he has higher numbers. They're really out of stuff to talk about.

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

That "stat" is ridiculous even by Kuharsky standards. I'm offended as a former elementary school math student.

What PK doesn't get (and has never understood) is that reporters and refs should never become part of the story. Next thing you know he'll be pushing stats about how often the Titans win when he writes a pre-game article.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

That'll be after he comments on the Titans have a 100% winning record when they score more points than the other team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar