Cook and Reese to Meet to Discuss McNair Contract

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

I don't get this whole "loyalty" crap some are trying to cry. I love McNair and there isn't person on her that doesn't believe that the very best situation is to have McNair retire a Titan with a much friendlier cap number. But we owe him something? How much money has he made? Where were the crys of loyalty when Hartwig, a mid round pick who Titans built into a quality player, left for Carolina? Or Runyon. Folks, this is business. Sure they could have handled it better with the BSP deal. BOTH sides could have done it better. But it was the right move, just done the wrong way.

2. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I gues you don't whatch sports programming, listen to local sports news, or read new papers.

There's no way he's back unless he decides he can handle being a back up in the 07' season. That's not going to happen. Steve is good as gone.

3. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

wiggling under the cap

So Reese and Bus boy are gonna sit down and talk.

The Facts:
    Mac is scheduled for another $9M.
    Floyd won't pay $9M
    Current contract ends this season.
    Titans are less than 500k under the cap before the draft.
    Some players could still get cut or restructured (Sirmon)

The Questions:
    Realistically, what kind of cap number would the Titans need to get Mac down to in 06 to sign the draft class without making other unexpected or unwanted cuts?

Then the bigger question... what kind of money would Mac play for in 07 and 08? What is the open market honestly going to offer?

Is Floyd willing to swallow some future cap dollars to keep Mac on the roster this year?

Are there any other contract moves we can make while paying off McNair in full this season and have enough to sign the draftees?

A few weeks ago, I would have never imagined this situation. Right now, though, I don't think it looks good for us and #9. If there is some logical way the cap could be managed for 06 only, I'd love to keep him here this year and deal with this after the season. I don't care if we are one thin dime under as long as we are under. I believe the team would still benefit greatly with him on the roster in 06. After that, he becomes less and less valuable.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]

5. bromike

bromike Guest

The Answer is for Mac to get his rings in Baltimore. It's amazing how so many people are making it sould like mac can only play in Tennessee. The dolphins were ready to swoop Mac up if he was released early. The raiders would have jumped all over him and Baltimore is now waiting in the wings to see if Mac can lead them back to a superbowl victory. Bilick as offensive coordinator took a 36 year old randall Cunningham and made him the league mvp. After being retired lifted marble for a year. So please stop all the Mac should have never said anything about retiring.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Billick has also had Dilfer, Grbac and Boller, among others as QB and gotten nothing out of them.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I've always liked "Dilfer" as a verb...

McNair will dilfer his way to the playoffs...:ha:
    oh, I'm just being a hater now... or am I just copeing?

Damn I'm sleepy. I've been at this for hours Gunny. I've got to get up in less than 3 hours... uh oh...

[​IMG]

8. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Well..in spite of having him...he did get a ring with Dilfer....

Amazing as that still seems....

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Get a clue guys...

Many don't seem to care about the immediate future of this team. You don't care if we have a third straight losing season? Maybe a 4th? What makes you think this new QB we will be drafting will be ready to play at a top level in his 2nd season?

So many have this moronic idea that orgasmic bliss is sitting out there some time in the future and the hell with 2006 and maybe even 2007. Did we sign these 4 free agents so we can win in 2008? Why can't we be a solid contender now and still have the young guy(young) to take over a well oiled successful machine? Why do we have to sit here in mediocrity waiting? Steve mcnair can still play. Anyone who says he sucked last year is a moron. He can give us 2 good years as we build this damn good team around him so maybe in 2008 vince takes over and we don't miss a beat.

Volek isn't the answer. He'll get hurt by week 4.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

McNair gives the Titans the best opportunity to win in '06. But that may only be two more games than what the Titans would win without him.

In the scheme of things, does losing those games in a rebuilding year THIS season give the team the opportunity of winning MORE games in '07 and afterwards because the team can bring in more talent with $10 mil and get them experience that can make the team better OVERALL in '07 and beyond?

Those are the kind of tough decisions the Titans are having to make. If they are truly only $500,000 under the cap, they don't have the funds to sign rookies, set up a practice squad or have any funds to bring in someone in the event a player goes down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar