Cook and Reese to Meet to Discuss McNair Contract

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

I think a lot of titans fans are deluded right now.
    It is VERY unlikely this thing gets worked out. This whole thing really means only one thing. The Titans are not willing to compromise! By doing this The titans are making that issue clear. The only way it gets worked out is Mcnair renegotiates. It seems to me that the Titans felt cook was not taking their position seriously and that forced the titans hand. Adams and reese for that matter are not idiots (contrary to popular belief) Losing Mcnair is sad, very sad. It's the end of an era. Just like when Montana left the 49ers their fan base was devistated. It's like a close relative has died. But it's a natural part of football life. The only way things like this won't happen in the NFL is if players retire when they're on top. And we all know that almost never happens. Think of all the greats who tried to play longer than their bodies allowed. The only player i can think of that retired on top was Elway and even he was on the decline.

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Or it could just be for the reason they stated; i.e. they didn't want to risk Steve getting injured at BSP and be screwed.

3. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

Compromise what? They have already agreed to pay him. They are trying to get him to change the terms. He is the one who has to compromise. I think he has compromised enough. Over the years when they redid he contract to free up money for other players. He could have kept the same contract and been happy. He could have been paid then but no he was trying to be team player.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I don't think an extension is that much of a compromise. At the moment, he gets big money next year and then has NO contract. If he extends with the Titans, he'll get the same money this year and a contract for the next year or two. His value should deteriorate, so he shouldn't be looking for that much more money...

5. Ewker

Ewker Starter

he has been paid..upfront...what part of that don't you understand!!!

6. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

The Titans are NOT trying to change the terms of the contract. The contract terms give them the right to release him and be free of the contract. It's right there in the contract. If it wasn't they couldn't even release him. They would be stuck with no option but to pay and play steve. They are merely saying to steve "we are going to exersise that option in the contract unless you renegotiate" So by Releasing steve they would be honoring the contract and so would steve.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

MsTitan, I never have addressed you before so I'm going to be as polite as I know how to be... Has anyone ever told you that men are lying dogs? There is a degree to truth to that but the point in this case is that those contracts are BS... The user agreement at Blockbuster Video has more actual recourse than a football contract. A football contract is only good for generating a game check. That's all it enables it's holder to garner. Football players aren't stupid but the contracts are full of so much legal ease (sp?) that they need to hire a guy to read it over for them because it's hoopla. It's also like a gallon of milk... it can spoil. Like a gallon of milk, you can throw it out... Questionable milk can not come to you and insist that it's fresh. It may be drinkable, but I'm not going to pay $3.49 a gallon for it... It's just that a read your other posts about loyality and honor and how we should say the pledge of allegience and all that. I like your ideals. Your ideas are the way things should be... more utopian I suppose... but that is not the world of sports agents, general managers and professional talent.

8. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

It seems to me that that aurgument doesn't really hold water because then they would never let steve practice in the past. So what is different about this year vs past years? The only appearent thing is they're not willing to pay him that number so they won't risk it.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

difference? can you give me the fractional proportion of Steves cap# vs. the cap allowance for the entire team? This year it is 1/4...
    what has it been in previous years? That's why the argument holds water... there is no way they are going to carry 24 million or whatever... NO WAY... until the cap# is managed, they don't even want Steve to look at BSP.

10. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

Questionable milk can not come to you and insist that it's fresh. It may be drinkable, but I'm not going to pay $3.49 a gallon for it... :rotfl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar