Contract Talks Between Titans and McNair Stall

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bromike

bromike Guest

Some of you people are amazing. You never understand what you have until it's gone. If Steve was let go he would have been a dolphin by now starting or a raider or a raven. He still has a lot of value and some football left. He was on a piss poor team last year and he didn't play his best ball but still as good as jake Delhome. Do you see where the bar is for McNair and rightly so because he has been great. Givens looks forward to playing with McNair his quote not Volek! Do you understand Mac and Farve are the only 10 year plus quarterbacks playing that are still with the same team? All this bum talk and Mac is washed up for his sake if he's not appreciated as a Titan yea go start for the Ravens and win a superbowl instead of being broke up for some unappreciative jerks. To compare him to eddie is rediculous. Mac will start somewhere other than tennessee if he leaves after next season that's if he wants to play.

2. twoseven

twoseven Camp Fodder

I dont know if he is washed up but he sure as heck isnt worth 23 million for 1 season , and all this talk about the playoffs this year is crazy , im a true titans fan but i dont see us going this year . ( i hope im wrong ) , 8-8 at best.

3. It's not a question of whether he's worth $23M. It's only a question of whether he's worth $10M this season.

And while he may not be worth that anymore, I'd rather keep him than let him go and be forced to rely on Volek.

4. TouchDown29

TouchDown29 Guest

Mac was probably my favorite player of all time untill I found out he had no family values and he came back to camp with a beer belly. Ive heard more than one report of him at a club getting drunk on the night before a home game. And recently hes been showing up a club in my neighborhood not to far from downtown, I wont name the club or the area but its 100% true. What kind of man with a wife and kids hangs out in clubs all night? All of this is where I lost Mac. Not to mention his decepitvely terrible season last year and the year before that. All of the people who watched the games closely know it most of the time it wasnt the O lines fault or the young receivers fault. I know he gets paid to play football and not stay at home with his wife but I wouldnt want my football team to give a man millions and millions if he stays out getting drunk all the time.

5. twoseven

twoseven Camp Fodder

In that case you probably wouldnt be happy with half the team , I go to downtown clubs almost every weekend and i have met several of the players clubbing it up on the friday night before every game , home or away. If you think most of them sit around during foorball season and study the playbook on friday nights your mistaken. They have to spend those millions they have on something ! I dont agree with it im just telling you what i have seen.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

From kuharsky's interview...

He talked about how the titan locker room had a major lack of disciple and leadership in the second half of the season. While most of this falls onto fisher i wonder how much help steve was in keeping the team together. Your 11th year QB has to take some of the blame for a team falling apart.

Still the guy can play. The raiders commited aaron brooks to be their starter for the next 2 years and mcnair is better than him. We need to try and keep steve around for a couple more years.

7. h4t

h4t Starter

I agree with Starkiller. I don't get all this we can't pay McNair 23 million stuff. His contract this year is for 10 million. The other 13 million is for previous years and has already been paid. I say pay him the 10 million for this year and get the 23 million off the books. We have already done about all we are going to do in free agency this year, and don't really need the extra cap space. This will give us an extra 23 million in cap space for next year, when we really need it to put the final pieces in place for our Super Bowl run in 2007. We can see how McNair plays this year, and then pay him accordingly for 2007, if we even decide to keep him.

8. twoseven

twoseven Camp Fodder

Ok , So the figure is 10 million . IMO that is still to much for a 1 year deal. Why not cut him and start Volek with the Q.B. we draft as the back up ? Or even Mauck as a back up. I dont see us going anywhere this year anyway , we might as well get our new Q.B. we draft ready for next season and we cant do that with him sitting on the bench. Now , if McNair will take alot less than 10 million then do it, but he isnt worth half of that . I still think he will get cut before the season starts anyway. I do realize he didnt have much to work with last year but when he did have time to throw he usually threw the ball at their ankles. Also i never heard of him spending extra time with the receivers , things like that , it was like he didnt even care if we won the game or not. But in my opinion we cant move forward until we get a fresh Q.B. and start grooming him this year. And McNair is just holding this process up.

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Personally I think you either decide that Mac is going to be your guy for the next 2-3 yrs and try your best to surround him with as much talent as possible i.e. don't draft QB at #3 or you go ahead and draft your future franchise QB and try to see what value you can get for Mac on the trade market. If you can't get any value for him, then you look at whether his 10mil is best spent keeping him around, signing other FAs, or locking up a few younger players with contract extensions.

I would draft Hawk or make a move for Bush and try to stick with Mac for another 2-3 yrs. I worry if we draft a QB with the plan being that we will just let Mac finish this yr and then hit the FA market that Mac will have a great yr and then you end up with a Brees/Rivers situation.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't have a problem with your basic premise but trhe only way we draft hawk will be if we trade down a couple of spots. Mario williams and dbrick are better propsects if we don't go QB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar