Contract Talks Between Titans and McNair Stall

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: According to his agent, reworking the contract for Steve McNair does not appear to be a priority for the Titans and will likely be put on the back burner until after the NFL Draft. "I'm sure Steve would like to know something, but for right now, he's under contract to be there this year," Agent Bus Cook said. "Unless something is accomplished, he'll be an unrestricted free agent next year. But he is carrying an awfully high salary-cap number." GM Floyd Reese has said the Titans want to talk and try to rework McNair's deal to lower a $23.46M cap figure, freeing up money to sign more players. "Steve's still one of the best quarterbacks in football without any question," Cook said. He pointed the Drew Brees six-year contract for $60M to show his client deserves $10M this season and has another four years left in his career.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

It's shapeing up like the Eddie scenario all over again.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

McNair!!! Play ball or get the hell out of Tennessee.
    Don't be a bum. This might be your chance.

Go be a Raven.

4. royhobbs

royhobbs Guest

I'm a McNair fan and want him to stay, but four more years? Wasn't he talking about retiring just two years ago, or was it last year? Has the bling being thrown around changed his tune or is Bus Cook blowing smoke? Does he really want a Drew Brees deal...a one year $10 million deal with alot of non-guaranteed money in future years? He has $10 million right now with his $9 million base and the $1 million non-exercise bonus. They should just extend it two years and not guarantee too much after this year or do a TO type deal...essentially a series of one-year deals. That is the market value. The only thing Cook can bank on is that we need to go 8-8 for Fisher to keep his job and keep the pressure off of Floyd. We can't get there with Volek or a rookie starting....it will be interesting to see what starting jobs and cap space are out there after the draft...there may not be a market for a big payday elsewhere.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I don't want McNair to go either but saying you can't get to 8-8 with Volek and a rookie qb is just loser talk. I mean damn... we CAN'T go 8-8 with Volek.
    That's out of the realm of possibilty...Saying playoffs is reaching and reaching badly but damn... McNair isn't everything RollTide is telling you he is. Well, it depends on which Tide is posting of course... still... MCNAIR HAS SUCKED.
    He's in no position (IMO) to be talking all this BS... If he's going to be a pain in the *** about it cut him after the draft and start Volek. Let the noob try when Volek breaks a nail or rips his cuticle. We are talking about getting more FA players here. PLAYERS THAT PRACTICE!

6. royhobbs

royhobbs Guest

Actually reading the article, it definately is Cook blowing smoke...trying to get Reese to start up talks. At this point, why do we need the excess cap space reworking Steve would create? Are there any good FA's left to sign? Any of them the type that would demand big $ (Law & Woodson are remote IMO)? I guess I don't see a huge urgency to free up $6-7 million in cap room we probably won't be using anytime soon.

7. royhobbs

royhobbs Guest

Volek might last half a season and a rookie would start the last eight. If Bud Adams wasn't so old and growing impatient I would think cutting him loose and eating the $15 million in dead money would be best for the future...however, that future might include a new coach and/or GM...which is like starting over again. I think all these guys that are predicting 8-8, 9-7, pushing for a playoff spot, etc. are assuming McNair is the QB. Despite the good FA moves, we still have issues on the roster....starting QB for 2006 is not one of them if McNair stays. We are not going to be 8-8 with Volek and whichever QB we draft in Round 1....I just can't see it.

8. Ewker

Ewker Starter

To McNair: so long farewell, don't let the door hit you on the way out:wave:

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Party at Ewker's house.

10. jdee

jdee Guest

I wish these guys would get into reality and quit listening to their agent's posturing. "Steve is still one of the best quarterbacks in football" his agent says. Huh? How about, "Steve appreciates the Titans loyalty over the years and he would like to end his career as a Titan." Get a 2-3 year deal done for say 3 mill a season and call it a career. He would end his career a fan favorite, he's already made more money than he can spend. Why the games?

JDee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar