Contract Negotiations for McNair Continue

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Has anyone in the Nashville area heard anything about McNair's agent saying that he will NOT accept any pay cut to stay with the team?

2. #1TitansFan

#1TitansFan Camp Fodder

Why would he not want to stay in Nashville? He has been on the same franchise since 1995 and knows the system well. If he went to another team he would have to learn another system and take the risk of not being a favorite of the fans if he doesn't do good. I don't live in Nashville but it seems to me that McNair has already won the fans over so if he has a bad year, the fans don't hate him. It seems to me that he would be better off staying in Nashville where his fans and coaches that he has been with his entire career since the franchise came to Tennessee.

3. Yes, this is apparently true. I heard part of the Sports Brunch on the radio today, and they had News 2's Sarah Walsh (who is covering the Senior Bowl) on. She said that Bus Cook told her that McNair wouldn't take a paycut.

As for exactly what that means, I'm not sure. Presumably it just means they won't back off the $9M base salary. But maybe it means they ALSO expect to get the huge bonus.

I think that the base salary is at least reasonable. But he had better not expect any big bonus if he wants the $9M. Plus, you also have to remember that he's just negotiating through the media, and just because he says it doesn't mean he'll get it.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I hate when they do that !
    that's how Eddie lost his rep - and that was over less than 2 million

this involves $9 + million. this could get ugly :irked:

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

but can you 'drop-kick' a FG ?

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

There ya go. I don't think Reese and Bus had even exchanged dollar amounts yet.

I expect both sides to do a little media ping-pong the next few weeks.

7. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

Let 'em go if this is the way he wants it to be. This means he's not caring about the team's well being anymore, and he is at the end of his career. We need the money anyway. Keep Billy V, and then draft Vince Young.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If the Titans intend to draft a QB, he'll be ready to step in by '07. Why then would the Titans pay McNair big money to basically remain the starter for only one more season?

9. In that case, they'll want McNair to start for 1 more year and mentor the kid. Volek can't mentor.

And, if worse comes to worse, they can take the $1M choice in McNair's option bonus and let his contract expire after this year. But that's not going to happen. They'll come to an agreement on a multi-year deal within the next 37 days.

10. Nash

Nash Starter

Right now it's a lot of posturing.. but what would a free agent QB cost.. let's say Kerry Collins, or Mark Brunell last year.. 3-4 million .. so if Steve thinks he is worth 9 million plus a bonus...I don't think so!! he may be leaving to get a ring with Miami, unless of course the Texans are trading Carr to Miami and taking VY...

McClain today on the Zone sure sounded like we would see Bush drop to us...now whether we trade down or not he didn't say...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar