Contract Negotiations for McNair Continue

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Titans GM Floyd Reese and agent Bus Cook, agent for Steve McNair, spoke again yesterday and may be closer to a contract agreement. "We are getting to the point where we are trying to put numbers in slots and see what it looks like," Reese said. "We'll start throwing around numbers now." Contracts for a number of other Titans hinge on McNair's deal, which for now includes a $50 million option. "He has a gigantic (salary cap) number, and the sooner you can get that number cleared away you have a much better sense of the dollars and cents you are going to have," Reese said. "He wants to be here and we want him. So you would like to think you could get it done."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Ewker

Ewker Starter

pay Mcnair as little as possible, he isn't worth getting the extra dead money that the Titans are finally getting rid of

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

McNair is sensible. I'm not worried about him at all.

4. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

I told Bus to play hard ball. Right now, Steve is sitting on a 50 mil:greedy: bubble. The little Mauck project down in Miami basically helped Steve out. They need him. He shouldn't take less than 15 mil and some extras for coaching up Young Tex.

A quarterback like Steve would flourish in a place with offensive weapons. He has never really had any quality receivers with the exception of Derrick Mason.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

He might flourish somewhere else, but he sure as hell isn't leaving at this stage in his career/life. He'd finish his career with a much better reputation if he didn't play hardball in order to help his team. Steve sure as hell doesn't need the money... I might give him 15 million over 2 years, small extras, but that's pushing it.

6. Ewker

Ewker Starter

15 million over two yrs is way to much for him

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

From reading news on the web the last month or so one would think that McNair feels as if he can pack it up and take his roadshow to another team like the Jets or Dolphins. I have such a hard time buying into that. Not that he could but that he would. I just can't imagine that Steve would do that. I really don't think McNair is all that concerned about the money. I'd like to see McNair take a NOD type role for years to come. That may be just a good as way as any to get that elusive SB ring.

Has anyone ever seen Flutie in action for NE?
    That's how I'd like to see McNair live on.

They love Flutie in NE with Boston College and all that.

8. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

FLUTIE!? I could beat up Flutie and I'm a little ol' Elf!:chuck:

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Have you even seen Flutie take a snap for NE?
    I think he's going to hang it up but the point is he is still a capable vet backup. All I'm saying is that I'd like to see McNair hang around another four or five years...starter or not.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Steve knows Eddie eff'd up by not taking less and retiring a Titan. Eddie lost alot of intanglible income by leaving his fan base.

If Steve stays for less, he would have Nashville support in business spin-offs (restaurants, sporting goods, camps, ?local color analyst, local endorsements, etc) for years after he could play no more. I believe Bus Cook is a more genuine agent than "Big Dummy" LaMont and will advise Steve to take the cut because it will pay more in long term intangibles to retire a Titan.

What would he have if he went somewhere else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar