Considering a MAC

Discussion in 'Gear' started by ammotroop, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

well TJ , it was supposed to happen at the event where they introduced the iPad. Apple is waiting for the Arrandale processor (which has been in production since Q4 '09) , and some form of GPU that is compatible yet not on the die. iirc, Intel and nVidia are NOT playing nicey nice right now - rumor of switch to ATI in talks.
    of course it's all just guesswork
    but what is known, is that certain outlets are deleting the older MBP sku's from their inventory and have placemarkers for new ones. also, the model codes (like 6,1) for the next MBP were found in the seeds of OSX 10.6.3
    remember, macrumors.com is your friend
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

this is a benchmark test of an unreleased MBP

[​IMG]

as far as CS4 is concerned, I'm not sure if it's a processor issue
    I had CS4 running under Leopard, yet when I upgraded to SnL it wouldn't mount, nor would Aperture . these things will be fixed in time

but why wouldn't CS4 run on an i3 - i7 ?

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

interesting
    I bought that Dell XPS 1530 from a buddy for Christmas for a song
    it's an OK machine, but I wouldn't have paid what the guy paid for it originally. it was a total mess when I got it, and luckily for me, it had 10 days left on the warranty.
    it had these failures:
    HDD - clicking, spinning down
    DVD-rom - clicking, skipping, intermittent, near unusable
    webcam / mic - hardware conflicts, mic inoperative

I got them all fixed, but I still prefer to use my Mc

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

my biggest reason for switching to Mac was windows itself

even with this XPS, running Windows 7 Ulitmate,, I spent the first couple of days just trying to get the thing to work right.
    like trying to get the 1/2 dozen toolbars in IE8 (which is much improved) from spawning
    fixing all the settings in the control panel that are retarded. making this work with that, compatibility configurations, MSCONFIG once again
    on and on and on ..... pain in the ***

I do like 7, quite a bit
    it's really only XP with a nice GUI
    but native apps like Media Player / IE / Movie Maker don't hold a candle to Apple apps
    about the only thing it has over OSX in Media Center, which is nice to use onboard, but I found it to be clunky to use even with an Xbox

fwiw, Windows 7 works just as well, if not slightly better on my MacBook

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

basically, a MacBook Pro with an i7 and an IPS screen like the ones found in the new iMac will be well worth the premium. yes there is an "apple tax" and it's substantial. however, the resale value on these Core i laptops will hold for years and years to come. the Core2Duo values will take a big hit, which will be good for you bargain hunters on eBay

6. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

One of the first things you learn in CIS 145 (Entry Level Information Systems Classes) the computer is only as smart as the person using it. :)

7. Deuce Wayne

You'll have the same DVD rom problem with the Mac, guaranteed. That's a reocurring problem that Mac has never even tried to fix- their CD drive always breaking. My sister's had to have her's fixed by apple at least 3 times already while I don't think I've ever had a CD rom problem with any computer within the last 20 years.

Webcam... well, who uses webcams? And if you do, you can get a better one than apple or pc provides for 30 bucks. (well, probably not an apple compatible one)

Just saying. The huge price jump isn't worth it. And the only reason people claim it is is due to viruses. If you're too dumb to keep from getting viruses, you're too dumb to know what computer is worth what anyway. Pretty simple.
    Or if you just can't simply reformat every 2 years and would rather pay 600 dollars more to avoid that long 45 minutes a year... you've got more money than brains. Which is usually the case.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

PEBKAC ftw!

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

No, I'm not. There are a lot of benefits beyond the stupid specs on the friggin shelf tag. Every Windows machine I've had has cost as much if not more than Macs just paying to make everything work that the tag claims; PCs have a laundry list of after-purchase expenses.

I've had five PCs and three Macs, and WITHOUT FAIL the PCs have been much more expensive than Macs. You get what you pay for, end of story.

10. Deuce Wayne

Please inform me how they're costing you so much. Trying to figure it out...

Is it the convenient plug-n-play accessories that cost less?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar