Condensed Cian Fahey thoughts on Mariota

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by rekirts, Oct 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Eh. Tough for me to lay the blame on the defense. I actually think they have been playing above their talent level, for the most part. The league is set up to favor the offense, and specifically the passing game. We just can't realistically expect this defense to hold up for 60 minutes every single week.

Let's actually break down the scoring in some of these games:

MIN- Defense allowed 0 TDs. The two TDs were Mariota turnovers returned for TDs.
    DET- Defense allowed 1 TD.
    OAK- Defense allowed 2 TDs.
    HOU- Defense allowed 2 TDs. Got their other TD on the punt return.
    MIA- Defense allowed 1 TD. Again, a punt was returned for a TD.
    CLE- Defense allowed 3 TDs. And the last one was a result of that onside kick recovery. Again, special teams.
    IND- Defense allowed 3 TDs. Mariota with another turnover returned for a TD.

Obviously they gave up too much the last two games. But it happens. And Indy does that to a lot of defenses. Again, it's a passing/offensive driven league. The defense is still top 10 in total yds/gm. And we've played DET, OAK, IND. All of which are higher end offenses.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this defense is great by any means. And I'm not saying there aren't plenty of issues. But if I'm assigning blame for this season to the 3 units, the defense is getting the least of it. Special teams has been nothing short of atrocious. And while the run game has been great, the passing game just isn't doing nearly enough to win on a consistent basis in this day and age.

We lost to MIN by 9 points. Mariota gave em 14.

We lost to HOU by 7 points. ST gave em 7.

We lost to IND by 8 points. Mariota gave em 7. And we botched that extra point attempt.

Really, this defense has done enough to potentially have us at 5-2, if not 6-1 right now.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. MarcAurelius

MarcAurelius Special Teams Standout

This post by nailed some many frustrating and positive things about the Titans offense and MM. Bravo to Cian Fahey.

- Rarely have we seen Mariota get the chance to move through WR progressions and make proper reads this year (something he can already do at a top 7-10 QB level in the NFL imo). Makes me want to throw something at the TV watching games this year with our "training wheels" offense (don't even get me started on how little I've seen guards pulling despite having a run heavy scheme).

- OC is running far to many schemes and sets that want MM dropping back and letting WRs create space to make a throw then a dump off RB checkdown pass if his single look is covered. He's NEVER gonna improve his ability/confidence to read NFL defenses playing our mostly BS 'Jay Cutler PA' single read simplified passing scheme.

- Wright, Sharpe, & Walker seem to be great route runners (slot & outside respectively for WR) but we rarely, I'm talking 4-5 times TOPS this season, have seen MM in a situation where the playcall even allows him the ability to check down from our WR1 (primary receiver) to the slot WR on a single play. It has that classic 'game manager, you're not smart enough to make reads' feel to it and Mariota can't enjoy/thrive in that world, again just my opinion. Perhaps if we had WRs who could create space like Delanie it would be easier to take 3-5 step drops and watch your receivers win 1v1 battles, but frankly we don't right now. Maybe if we had the Andre Johnson of 4-5 years ago it'd be different (father time still undefeated).

- OC clearly wants to run Murray into the ground with our distribution so far. Not sure why with a rookie Heisman winner ready for some carries... but again if that's the plan he's still doing it all wrong. Why can't we see a spread shotgun style offense with a pass heavy focus early in the game (give MM ability to progress through multiple receivers early in he game) designed to score more points in the first half, then allowing Murray to run over a worn out defense in the 2nd half with MM playing under center much more later in the game. And don't kid yourself, Murray can still easily rack up 25 touches a game with a more optimal distribution.

TL;DR
    We have an offensive playbook designed for a QB who struggles at making progression reads and excels at tossing up 1v1 medium to deep throws relying on WRs to create space, but we also have a young franchise QB that excels at making progression reads in a shotgun spread/trips/stacked/5WR/multiple TE style offense.

#42 MarcAurelius, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    • High Five High Five x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

So is the Blount and NE offense, but that seems to be working out alright.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
  4. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

MM ain't Brady. Not even close.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

ponies got 7 from MM8 and 4 net points from ST ( missed Xpt & FG after Supernaw went full retard on the PROPERLY defended onsides kick )

other than that minor detail - lost to the ponies by 8 MM8 gave them 7 ST gave them 4 - POST OF THE YEAR!

6. Bonky

Bonky Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I don't think anyone would argue that.

A few points leading up to our present situation do come to mind, though.

I seem to recall that one of the key points in Mularkey being hired was "protecting our franchise qb" .

One of the keys in JR's hire was working with Mularkey.

So here we are, running max-protect Offense with more losses than wins.

Until ownership learns to butt the H out of football decisions nothing is going to change, other than personnel.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Wingman

Wingman Starter

I agree. But he has the tools to be great. But we have to add talent and a better offensive scheme for him to reach his potential. Mariota has actually accounted for more TD since Brady has come back than Brady has.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

uuuggghhhh

Fuka U fishface!

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

actually ST gave them 10. they were gonna punt but ST had too many men on the field and they got moved up and kicked a FG. member?

• Cheers Cheers x 2
  10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

yeah @SawdustMan fix those two (2) minor issues for Post of the Year

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar