Concerns Going Forward

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by pettso, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pettso

pettso Starter

I'm sure we'll beat this topic to death in the off season, but I felt like an early read on this after our monumental loss to the ponies last weekend while there's still some hope for the playoffs... so...

We got some excitement out of Hasselbeck early on but there's a reason he hasn't done much in the NFL over the past 5 years (except for that one playoff game, which Munchak himself said is one of the main reasons they brought him to TN).

It does suck that we had an awesome shot at the playoffs and lost to a 0-13 team and there are some chronic issues that need to be addressed. But hey, at least our season isn't over heading into week 16. That's better than what I expected and its better than a lot of other teams that are "rebuilding" out there.

I have two concerns coming out of this season so far:

1) Munchak has not impressed me at all. Palmer has failed - will he be held accountable? I doubt it. Munchak doesn't seem to walk the walk after all the accountability talk before the season started. CJ was doing nothing yet the other backs barely saw any carries (I think Ringer had like 13 carries in one game, and I remember he did fairly well in that game). The offensive line has played shockingly bad all year - all we've heard is "stay the course." Hasselbeck has played very poorly for the past 5-6 weeks, again, "he put us in this position, so we'll give him his shot [even if he's clearly not playing well]." Will he make changes in the off-season? Or are we gonna start hearing Fisherspeak for why he's gonna keep Palmer around to mentor Jake Locker? How we're gonna keep the O-line the same because they've been good before? Are we gonna go into the next season thin at WR and RB again?

On top of that he's extremely lifeless on the sidelines. This may be a personal preference, but man, show me SOME emotion. Bill Belichik is not a very emotional coach, but I at least see him talking to people on the sidelines. When things are good or bad he's making sure people hear what he has to say. Does Munchak have nothing to say? Is he just crapping his pants the entire time? Some people say he's a rookie HC so he's uncomfortable. I don't buy that, maybe he's just too used to being behind the scenes and he's not ready for such a big jump.

2) Chris Johnson. Personally, I would love to see him get cut ASAP. Before you sucks this, give me a chance to explain. Is he washed up? Possibly. He's played well in a couple of games this year so he's probably serviceable at least.

My issue is this: The Titans are a very young team (which is great), and I'm afraid his mentality is gonna rub off on the young players we have/draft. When you look at teams like Green Bay, New Orleans, New England, Pittsburgh - the teams that win superbowls. None of them have players with a "me first" mentality. The team's leaders (highest paid, biggest production, "elite playmakers") are the first ones in and the last ones out and they don't create distractions with their contract disputes. That sets the tome for the team. Everyone works hard so when the get there on Sunday, everyone knows how hard they've worked and that translates on to the field (something we've had issues with this year). CJ is our highest paid player if it he's allowed to work out in Florida all summer and doesn't really get reprimanded for holding out and playing horribly after it, that sets a terrible example for our young players (especially the influential ones like Kenny Britt).

At the very least, I'd like to see us pick up a RB from FA and be prepared to bench CJ if he's not performing.

As of now, my to do list for Munchak would be:
    -Fire Palmer and tell both CJ and the O-line that he took the fall for their poor performances this year. If they suck with the next coordinator, he won't be able to do it again.
    -Bring in good WR(s), RB, O-linemen and D-linemen. Through FA and the draft.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Mr.biggums

Mr.biggums Special Teams Standout

CJ broke the all time yards from scrimmage record.....the last guy to do that had a hall of fame qb, wr, and open-ended offensive scheme.

Cj had a qb that wasn't allowed over 20 attempts and a scheme that my nine year old niece could decipher....in seconds.

Like I have said before.....if the Titans are serious about the run game, keep CJ. If not, trade him. No sense wasting that talent because the head coach can't admit a mistake in personnel for center.

The best running backs ever have had bad seasons.....due to playing on bad teams and bad lines. CJ is special once he gets to the second level...history proves that.....but it's on the line to at least let him get to the line of scrimmage, not having to juke out of the center's way because he wants to get a close up of the turf.

3. Mr.biggums

Mr.biggums Special Teams Standout

Mawae is extremely missed.....even if he is a douche.

4. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Logan Mankins held out almost the entire season for the Patriots. James Jones was asking for a trade from the Packers. I'm sure there are others...

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. JiminyBillyBob

JiminyBillyBob Pro Bowler

Very good post. However, I have to disagree with blaming our offensive woes on Palmer. While his playcalling is not spectacular it is not that bad either. Fact is our running game does not work this season. The reasons for that are clear: O-line, while outstanding at pass blocking cannot block anybody during running plays. CJ clearly underperforms this season. The rest on offense is not that bad. If Cook does not fumble the ball and DWill does not drop every other ball thrown at him we would have won against the Colts.
    The two who should have a serious conversation are Munchak and Matthews.
    As far as the D is concerned I got to seriously question the erratic playcalling by Gray throughout the season.
    Here is what I think we need: WR(s) (either 1st Rd of the draft or FA), C (preferrably a good FA), G(s) (Draft), S(s) (Draft and FA).

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

How can you not blame Palmer? Even excusing his 2 bone-headed calls in a game that clearly lost it for us...

Let's see here:

He took arguably the best runningback and offensive line, and implemented a scheme that turned them to the worst in the league. He never adjusted to the players- something a coach must know how to do.

Our team shows the playclock management of a Les Miles coached team. Do they not understand what sidelines do?

Predictable gameplan. Run on first and 2nd. For nothing. Throw short of the sticks on 3rd. Sorry... any 8th grade kid in the united states could run a better offensive play-set.

He had done absolutely nothing before he was awarded this job- it shouldn't be surprising that he's doing terrible now. He didn't have a resume worthy of an OC job. Cut the fat. Norm Chow wasn't even this bad.

• High Five High Five x 4
  7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Munchak, Palmer, Johnson, Amano, and now Hasselbeck are ALL responsible for our awful play. The players are doing a terrible job of executing, and the coaches are doing an even worse job of adjusting.

I initially was a Palmer supporter because why not, but I can't lie to myself much longer, the guy is not NFL material. Everything he knows, most other coordinators knew 6 months ago. Hard to win games when you're always playing catch up, and I don't mean in points. Palmer came in to TN not knowing diddly about this team, and spent the entire offseason learning about our team. He hasn't had the chance to install much of his stuff, but based off the little extras he's added, I don't want to see his stuff next year. He was our 3rd choice at OC for a reason, let's see if we can lure away a serious offensive coordinator and compete next year.

8. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I've been saying this for awhile now but we NEED and innovative offensive coordinator, a Sean Peyton type or perhaps someone like Morninwig in Philly. This offensive scheme does not fit a back like CJ, I sound like a broken record but I'm gonna shout it until the cows come home. CJ is like 190 pounds soaking wet, he should not be pounded up the middle every 1st and 2nd down against 8 and 9 man fronts, this is just pure stupidity and the reason why Palmer has to go, the sooner the better. I said it in the off season, if the Titans are unwilling to adapt their offense around CJ, clearly the best player on the team, then he should be traded. What do they do, hire the exactly type of coordinator we don't need :(.

Put CJ in the Philly scheme and tell me he doesn't look light years better. McCoy doesn't have nearly the physical tools of CJ and he's making the NFL look stupid. Again this is all scheme and predictability. We are so predictable a High School coach could figure out how to stop our offense, but not Philly's, you can't tell what they are going to do.

The problem is, which you eluded to earlier is will Munch do anything about it. Sadly I think he won't, the status quo is just fine in Tennessee.

9. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Bing-o was his name-o! I definitely agree on this point. I understand that Matthews is a rookie coach here but dude has got to do better work with our OL. It is beyond me as to why our line sucks so bad. You would think that considering the 2 are HOF OL that that would be our strongest unit.

Palmer has made boneheaded calls and so has Gray but our OL is by far our weakest unit.

10. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Munchak was sort of handcuffed when it came to choosing coordinators because Fisher waited so long to decide to leave. Munchak had to take what he could. Now, we're stuck with the OC for the moment because we don't want Locker to have to learn a new system in his 2nd year (see Alex Smith's career to see how this will effect a young QB). So I blame Fisher for a lot of this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar