Computer questions again....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bobo, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

My folks puter has had some virus's get to it possably, and I'm wondering how to help them out (sorry, they don't want to buy a Mac now Puck).

I've got them Firefox, but I'm not sure what else to run that's worth a crap. I used to have some programs on my old puter like Hijackthis and Spybot. Maybe try them out again?

2. I'd use those same programs. Plus, check and make sure they have up to date antivirus software running.

3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

That reminds me, I think their Norton's anti-virus ran out.

Are any of these anti-virus programs better than the others? Norton? McAfee?

4. AVG, which has a free version for home users

I can't stand Norton or McAfee.

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Cool SK, I'll check it out.

6. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I've had great success with Norton, but McAfee is a real P.O.S.

If you go with Norton, just make sure to only get the anti-virus product (around $20 at Wal Mart), not the internet security that has the firewall and all that other jazz built in.

For spyware, try spybot search and destroy, adaware and Windows Defender (all free).

Also, make sure you run Windows Update and apply all critical patches. If they have Microsoft Office products, upgrade Windows Update to Microsoft Update (there's a link on the Windows Update page). Microsoft Update just combines system updates and office app updates.

7. My only real problem with Norton is that it is too memory/CPU hungry, especially for older systems. AVG is basically as good with much less of a footprint on your system.

Plus, of course, it's a waste of money to pay Symantec every year to re-subscribe when AVG is free and just as good (or better).

8. NYTitansFan

NYTitansFan Guest

adaware is the best for getting rid of alot of crap :winker:

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

:ha: :ha:

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

sk, do i need to downlaod the avg trial that's linked on the upper right? http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

and on a side note, why am i holdong down the shift key while typing a leter and not getting a capital letter? probably hit a wrong button, doh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar