computer music question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by The Mrs, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

I have some CDs on my laptop. This laptop is dying. I need to get the music off of this laptop so that I can put it on my new laptop. Is there a place I can put these cds without burning it all on cds again?

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Get a memory stick or portable hard drive. Usually you can just plug them into a USB or USB2 drive and transfer them easily. I got a new laptop and had to do that. Of course I had 13 Gigs of music so I had to get a whole portable hard drive. Then again, that meant I could keep all my new family guy episodes, so I can't say I'm not happy...

3. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Huh? I'm computer-ly challenged. Pretend you're talking to a 2 year old and tell me this again. Like where I need to go. Can I get this at walmart for a small fee or do I need to smile and send "someone" else to go buy it for me. Keep in mind, I save the smile for only big ticket items, like er, new laptop....

4. Copy the music files to another drive off the computer (external hard drive, DVD, whatever). Then you can copy them back onto a new computer later.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

a memory stick is one of these little things http://www.radioshack.com/family/in...32364&categoryId=2032375&pg=1&searchSort=TRUE

put it in the USB port(if your laptop is anything like mine it's on the left side)

depending on which one you buy, you can put a lot of the songs on there or a small amount. cut and paste the songs and put them on the memory stick(to put them on the stick, click start then my computer and then removable disc.

then put the stick in the new laptop, cut and paste from the stick and put it in a folder on the new laptop.

hopefully that helped

6. A memory stick probably isn't enough to save all your music on at once, though. Not if you have a lot anyway...

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you could always repeat the process a few times. it doesnt take but three or four minutes to do.

8. True, though it would take longer if the old computer doesn't have USB 2

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

another concept is to use your DVD burner (if you have one) and rip all your music as MP3's onto DVD (at 4mb per file you should be able to fit a WHOLE LOT of files onto a 4.8GB DVD) then cpy all the files back onto a a new pooter

then there's always an external hard drive

in your Music program (I suggest iTunes) click :
    OPTIONS > ADVANCED > BURNING > MP3 cd
    File (on a Mac, not sure what it is on a PC) > BACKUP TO DISC
    Insert DVD or CD and click BURN

on a regular CD you can fit close to 125 mp3's, on a DVD you should be able to hold closer to 600 (guessing)

good luck

and may your next computer be a Mac !!!

10. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Buy this at Wal Mart

Plug it in the back of your computer. It will show up as a new drive. Copy the folder that holds all your music. It's probably called "My Music" and will be stored inside "My Documents." Paste the folder on the new drive.

You're done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar