Computer Internet help please

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanKid4Life, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

What kind of work with computers?, I am looking to go back to uni to doing something with computers (since I am a lot better with them then most other things)

2. I was a computer science major in college before I got sick of programming. I got my CS degree and went a different direction. But if you like that kind of thing, companies are usually looking for good programmers. Colleges also have lots of good computer engineering classes if that's your gig. But as far as hands on computer work, I'm not sure what people really need college for (unless you're just looking to take a few specific classes).

Right now I'm basically doing tech support, training, and consulting for regular home users and small businesses. I enjoy working for myself more than I did working 8-5 for a big company, though certainly the pay was better.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I don't either.
    However I did a degree in Criminal Justice, finished last year, applied for over 200 jobs and nothing. So I don't know why I did it, it hasnt gotten me anything.

But I look at trainee positions to do with IT and there aren't many down here atleast at the moment.
    I figure doing some sort of IT course may help me get a job, but then again I thought doing Criminal Justice would as well.

I might look into short courses.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well, while I know nothing of the job availability down there nor the actual educations offered, I would say Computer Science is a good choice, if you're interested in computers.

Sure, there are likely to be some "hardcore" mandatory courses that isn't in everybodys taste (machine architecture, compilers and operating systems come to mind), but in the end you get an education that can be used for much more than just coding, if that isn't your fancy.

Graduates from the University of Copenhagen where I'm currently working on my masters get jobs ranging from hardware designers, software developers and sys. admins to executive positions.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Maybe I'll goto Uni in Denmark. lol.

Always wanted to go there and the currency exchange is awesome.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

NT mate NT

Heck why stop there, Australia is part of the Commonwealth, apply in NZ, SA, Canada and UK. Somewhere an Aussie with a Criminal Justice degree will be the flavor of the day - lol

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well, had it been a couple of years ago, you could have had the education for free here to boot. But now there are tuition fees for foreigners.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

why for free?

and $10,000 Denmark is like $2,250 Aus

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Education is paid for by taxes, just like healthcare. But a drastic increase in especially Asian foreign students was becoming a financial burden, so we had to restrict free tuition to Danish nationals (and possibly European nationals as well).

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

We get a lot of Asian foreign students as well. It is crazy, makes me wonder if they actually have anyone at uni in their countries. lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar