Computer Hardware Question...

Discussion in 'Gear' started by GoTitans3801, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

OK, so I bought an external hard drive a couple of years ago, but after moving it around without protecting it, a part of the connection (a little metal piece that leads into where you plug in the USB2 cable) is bent, meaning that my computer cannot pickup the connection to the drive very well, usually not long enough to transfer anything out of there. I have a bunch of music, tv shows, and movies on there, and want them back. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the actual memory or drive in there. I just need to know what I need to buy. I'm guessing a case for an external hard drive? Any suggestions or follow up questions are appreciated.

2. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

i have the same problem, but nah, i dont know what to do...

3. Yes, an external drive case should be all you need. You just need to make sure the case has the same internal connections (to the hard drive) that the current one does and that it has USB to the computer (which shouldn't be an issue).

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Thanks, starkiller. Just wanted to make sure I had the right term.

5. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

If it is really "old" then the IDE data cable is the spec you need to confirm.

I would crack the case and see if I could just replace the cable...

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

sounds like all you need to do is replace the USB jack

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

If your going to have to take it apart the hassle free solution is to just get an external enclosure.

They come in IDE or SATA formats. Handy things to have around. I had a dead hard drive that wouldn't show up in bios but I was able to read it in an external enclosure & take my files of it. I have a Startech one & I'd recommend it.

8. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Magic Elves will fix it right up. :yes:

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Here, the Magic Elves are called menehune

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar