Comparing 2008 to 2010

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by pettso, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pettso

pettso Starter

2008 was one of the better years in recent history and I feel we had a legitimate shot at the superbowl that year. CJ getting hurt and mass fumbles were devastating against the Ravens.

Our defensive play took a major hit in 2009 when compared to 2008. Looking back, there really weren't that many changes. That was one of the main reasons we went into the season as Superbowl contenders. The only real downgrades from 2008 to 2009 were a result of injuries, a new coordinator and poor d-line play (lack of fat Albert).

From what I've seen and read this preseason a lot of the problems that plagued us in 2009 should have been addressed. Our d-line has looked very strong and should be close to 2008 level. The secondary is basically the same group of guys minus Nick Harper, which is an upgrade even from 2008 if you ask me. Our LB group is also pretty close to the level of the 2008 guys. Losing Bulluck is a pretty big hit but Tulloch's developed really well and McGrath/Witherspoon seem very solid. Cecil is also in his second season as a coordinator which in general is also good news.

Our offense has also significantly improved at the skill positions. VY brings a lot more to the table than KC, CJ is still CJ and Gage/Washington/Britt is leaps better than Gage/Jones/McCareins. If the offensive line holds up, the offense as a whole should be much better than 2008.

So looking at the roster I'm actually pretty optimistic about our chances of making the playoffs and potentially winning a playoff game this year. Am I being a homer?

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

When you put it like that it makes a lot of sense, however I still don't believe our defense will be on the level it was in 08.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I was thinking the same thing. In 2007, much like 2009, we came together late in the season. Like in 2008, this current D-Line will give QB's fits. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we finish close to 13-3 again.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Another thing that really hurt us last year was the lack of a return game. We started so many of our drives deep in our own territory, and as a result would give the ball back to opponents on a shorter field which also hurt the D some. I really think that with either Mariani or D.Williams back there returning we should start with much better field pos. this year which will help the O and D.

In 2008 we had Carr returning, and even though he wasn't really a threat to take one to the house, he would consistantly put us in good pos. to either score, or at least flip the field.

5. JCBRAVE

In 2008 Carr would setup Bironas to be the best kicker in football. If Avatar or Mariani are the guys to return kicks, that's what they'll need to do. Neither pose much threat to run one back for a TD. This offense looks like they can drive down the field, but constantly having bad field position will cost you some Bironas points. How many games did we lose by a point or two?

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

What I'm worried about is the number of really difficult matchups. In addition to our division games, we have to play @ Dallas, @ Miami, and @ San Diego. Unless we see major improvement from last season (when even while we were hot we were simply outmatched by the two strong teams that we played), then we're going to have a hard time winning those games and having any shot at the playoffs. I'm hopeful for improvement though.

7. JCBRAVE

I'm most concerned about the Chargers away game... The Dallas game not as much, but San Diego has our number. I don't worry about us having the most difficult schedule as teams change from year to year. Last years playoff teams won't be handed anything, you still have to earn your wins.

8. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I think our team has the potential to be better than the '08 team but possibly with a slower start.

I think our defense is more athletic than the '08 defense. I think our CB's are better but our Safeties may be worse. I think our dline will be just as good if not better this year.

I think our offense has the potential to score more points. I think if Vince can prove he can move the ball through the air our offense is a top 3 offense in the NFL. I think CJ puts up close to the same numbers as last year.

The fact of the matter though is that its still preseason. After week 1 I could have an entirely different assesment for better or worse.

9. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

It's nice to think like this..but how many times do teams have the SAME roster and have polar opposite seasons..too unpredictable. We are better than last year, or SHOULD be, but there's still alot of unknowns.

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

We certainly don't have the same roster. Bulluck, Mawae, KVB, all gone...

I could see us starting out 5-1, but it gets ugly from there. We'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar