Colts to Tag Mathis

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 2ToneBlueBlood, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Per Adam Schefter and Jim Wyatt.

Schefter:

Wyatt:

I have to admit, I was depending on this one. It sounded like the Titans were very interested in bringing Mathis in and were willing to be competitive with what they’d pay. This throws a wrench in things for sure, at least for how I pictured the offseason going.

So what's our plan B in free agency?

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

This makes Freeney more likely to get cut.

3. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

It's actually a long term deal

The Colts and Robert Mathis have agreed to a long term contract, according to Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star.
    Mathis is one of the best pure pass rushers of his era, but we doubt he'll be worth the money. He's 31 years old and will be asked to adjust to Chuck Pagano's hybrid 3-4 scheme. Mathis and Dwight Freeney will remain a dangerous tandem, but this isn't a move that makes sense on a rebuilding team. We suspect owner Robert Irsay just wanted to retain one big star during a week that Peyton Manning will likely get cut.

from rotoworld

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Avril was tagged however

5. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

He would have been a nice addition but I'm not bummed about missing out on him. Mario it is then.

6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Mario Williams is going to get so, so much money in free agency.

7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

The question is will he get Haynesworth money or Peppers money? Because I think we'd only offer Charles Johnson money.

8. JCBRAVE

With all these guys getting the tag, what teams are still looking for a DE?

We are, Miami is, and.......

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Seattle is the name I've seen most connected to Williams. There are also some writers who think the Patriots or Cowboys might go after him. Tampa Bay and Buffalo have also been brought up in some places, as both have lots of money to spend and claim that they will be aggressive in free agency.

I think the Titans are less likely than ever to sign him. Since he's the only big- or even medium-name DE available in free agency, he can basically write his own check.

10. JCBRAVE

I tend to think he is going to a 4-3 team. Buffalo is now a 4-3, as is Miami.

And Tampa is the cheapest team I know about, so I doubt they pay Mario.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar