Colts put franchise tag on Freeney

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Sledge, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I just read on another board (from a Colts fan) that they just freed up $15 mil in cap room, I'm hoping he'll esplain how because the only way I could see that happening is cutting Manning :ha: don't we all wish
  2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

With the cap increase, we're seeing teams use the franchise tag much more because they know it'll cost even more to replace them.

I think we'll all be floored by what guys like Bennett will get once they are UFAs.
  3. mdfan

mdfan Starter Tip Jar Donor

posted on the colts F2FA board coltfreaks.com

4. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Someone explain what converting a roster bonus into a signing bonus means. Does that mean they are paying out cash today but delaying the cap hit until another day?
  5. Smash

Smash Soccer God

A roster bonus is a one year hit, a signing bonus hit is spread out over several years
  6. TitanJeff

Yup. And if the Titans do a long-term deal with Henry, we'll see the same type of thing. That roster bonus he's due on March 2 will be spread out over a four-year deal as part of a signing bonus.
  7. Broken Record

So it's safe to say then, that this is the same procedure that got us into trouble with dead money?
  8. TitanJeff

It did except what the Titans were doing was extending the contracts beyond their original ending. A four-year deal had more years added to spread out the signing bonus.

With the amount of cap the Titans have, I don't see the need to spread out the hit with Henry. It's a matter of whether or not you throw a ton of money at someone who is a risk with a second-rounder needing to be on the field.
  9. Broken Record

As Velma from Scooby Doo used to say, "Veddy Intuh-desting."

As far as Henry and White go, both are risks. Henry is the known quantity with the drug problem and White is the overweight guy with the attitude problem. I think this is a critical building year for this team. It's a year they need to show they can get over the hump and make the playoffs.

That being said, I think the team should keep Henry, build some protection into the contract, use the possible suspension as a bargaining tool and get to winning some games on the ground.

On the flip side, I want to have my cake and eat it too. Henry probably has 3 good seasons left in him, give or take a year, so I hope there isn't much money tied up in him after that.
  10. TitanJeff

I think the Titans will work to keep him for a reasonable price. Henry has to know he'll have White pushing him but, at the same time, he knows the system with the Titans and won't blow time learning another.

I pay Henry second-tier RB money. If he wants that monster payday as a team's #1 for the next four years, I don't know if he'll get that from the Titans.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.