Colts get nipped by the cap bug...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bulluck, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bulluck

Bulluck Camp Fodder

Colts | Ruling impacts team's salary cap status
    Thu, 2 Mar 2006 06:10:53 -0800

Mike Chappell, of the Indianapolis Star, reports a ruling Wednesday, March 1, by an NFL arbitrator specifically regarding the contracts of QB Peyton Manning and WR Marvin Harrison could result in several significant player cuts by the Indianapolis Colts as they attempt to comply with the league's projected 2006 salary cap of $95 million. At issue, for now, are roster bonuses of $9 million due Manning and $10 million due Harrison. The Colts intended to implement a normal bookkeeping maneuver that converts a roster bonus into a signing bonus and prorating it over the next four years. That would have lowered Manning's 2006 cap number from $17.766 million to $10 million and Harrison's cap hit from $14.4 million to $6.9 million. The lack of an extension carries restrictive guidelines regarding player contracts, including the conversion of roster bonuses. According to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, arbitrator Stephen Burbank ruled such conversions are prohibited under the labor agreement if they violate the so-called "30 percent rule,'' which keeps base salaries from increasing more than 30 percent each year over the first year of the contract. It's believed a special master's ruling is final, but Colts' owner Jim Irsay said the issue is far from resolved.

2. Bulluck

Bulluck Camp Fodder

so as put by someone on another board...

So what are they basically saying here? That Manning will have to count as 17.7 million as opposed to the 10 million that the Colts were expecting and Harrison will count 14.4 instead of the expected 6.9? Thats 32 millions against the cap when they were expecting to have to pay 17? A difference of 15 million all hitting them this year?

3. wino

wino True 2 the shoe..GO COLTS

As it stand NOW, yes. After the CBA (and you know there will be one) I expect the Colts will be able to do what they originally wanted to do...make Peyton's hit about 10 and Marvin's hit about 7.

I don't profess to be a salary cap expert, but the way teams push money around amazes me. Eventually it almost has to come around and bite you in the @ss, but for some teams it never seems to. You're living through it now, but the Redskins never seem to have a problem. For the life of me I can't figure out why.

4. Bulluck

Bulluck Camp Fodder

The redskins will have the problem eventually... they will have to cut some big name players to get under it on Sunday. It will happen to everyone, but it amazes me how lucky yall are going to get when they sign this new CBA

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

How does the eventual new CBA make Peyton and Marvins hit a combined $17 mill, instead of the $32 mill that was ruled?

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

By turning the roster bonuses to signing bonuses and prorating them. Is this a reading comprehension test?

7. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

hmmmm, talks have been broken off by both sides with no intention "at this time" of continuing them. This could get interesting......say, if one doesn't get signed by the start of the season, could one be done during the 06 season or would they have to wait until after the season?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar