colt rings might freeney dwight?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by joelmunroe, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

So...

So if a pass rusher gets pressure on a QB who then chucks it away for an incompletion, the DE is ineffectual because he has no tackles and no sacks?

Boy, I wish we had guys who actually pressured the QB instead of having a lot of tackles, a couple of sacks, and the opposing QB throwing at will against our secondary....half of which is all pro caliber! Wonder how the Colts manage to not give up many big passing plays with such bad DE's when we give up a LOT of big passing plays...?

I guess Dungy is a genius in that he can have a pretty good pass defense with only McFarland up front, backup safeties and only decent CB's.....

So how many times did Freeney control his gap or pressure the QB in the Super Bowl?

Gut

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

First, since their run D has been very good in the postseason and he and Mathis are the 'targets' of the run game, they must not be liabilities against the run or they'd never be able to put up dominant run D performances against high quality talent.

Second, if you watched him closely in those games, he played both run and pass well. I didn't keep stats or anything, but in the NFL matchup show they did highlight one play vs the Pats in which he rushed up field, put a spin move on Light and then pancaked shutting down his side of the field for the runner which forced the runner to be tackled for a loss.

I did watch him against Ogden. Ogden dominated him? Is that with or without the holding calls Freeney drew on him...which they could have called quite a few more since Ogden couldn't stop his spin move most of the time and just held him.

I'll re-watch the SB and grade Freeney's performance.

Kearney is an upgrade vs the run but not the pass over LaBoy. I wouldn't pay much for that.

I completely agree and that's on Fisher and Schwartz! They need to change personel when the current personel isn't working. In addition, the DC has gotta be smarter in how he plays with the personel he's got. I've already spouted off numerous examples in which he could have prevented our weaker players from hurting us in certain situations (like not leaving Hill one on one with the other team's best WR on 3rd and very long).

They need to hold players (and coaches) accountable. No more wait for you to mess up for 4 weeks and THEN put you on notice. With great teams like the Pats, you're ALWAYS on notice. If you stink, you lose your job. They don't wait 5 weeks for you to hurt the team! We shouldn't either.

Gut

3. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

If we got Freeney (for a halfway decent price), he may not be worth all the hype that he's getting, but...teams would have to game plan for him and that would definately free up KVB to do his thing. Truth be known, not only do we need a nice complement to KVB, but we need a fire hydrant DT to anchor the middle with AH.

4. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

Here's something from FOX Sports:

with that $8 mil they should be able to keep most of their important FAs

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

thats just the kind of guy Gayton is. Always willing to put 10m or so in his pocket as long as it is for the team.

6. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

the way I read that it doesn't change the bottom line of the contract at all, it just shifts funds around so it won't hit them this year, hopefully they're setting up for a huge collapse in a couple years :yes:

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I don't know when Peyton's contract ends, but if restructuring 10mil frees up 8, then we can assume he's got 5 years left with the 10 then being spread over the next 5 years (an extra 2mil cap hit per year on Manning's contract). Of course, this is exactly how you get into cap hell and 10mil is a big chunk. The other problem they'll encounter is that soon most of their cap will be taken up by Manning's contract. The only way they'll be able to get under the cap will be by cutting Harrison (first) and then Freeney.

So if they have 8mil and free up 8 mil, Freeney SHOULD get 10mil a year, with another 4mil saved for the rookie class. That leaves them 2mil which they may want to save for contingencies...

Gut

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gut...

I'm sure ultimately they will reneg manning and harrison's contracts. Why would they want to play on a team with mediocre talent? I assume that they will be willing to give a little to help keep some players..

The franchise cost to keep freeney will be $8.6M.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yes...

But Peyton's contract is backloaded too AND with the restructuring his contract is gonna take up huge amounts of space and there will be no way to do anything with it outside of play it out til his last year and cut other players you have to cut to get under tha cap.

If you were Freeney, wouldn't you want MORE than the avg of the top 5 guys at the position? Especially since you'd expect to be paid at least market value since you'd be agreeing NOT to hit free agency. In free agency he'd get 10mil/yr I think. At a minimum, I think they'd use John Abraham's contract as a base and I think he had like 30mil guaranteed for the first 3 yrs which would cause them some serious cap problems.

Gut

10. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I don't think the players have much say on the franchise tag, I remember that part of the reason we didn't franchise Jevon (beyond the durability issue, which it looks like we were right on) was that we didn't want to have a player who didn't necessarily want to be there (or wasn't happy with what he was getting paid)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar