colt rings might freeney dwight?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by joelmunroe, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joelmunroe

joelmunroe Camp Fodder

do you guys think there could be any better chance of freeney being able to get out of indy now that they have won the superbowl as opposed to if they lost and felt they needed the same team to get back and try again.
    He's coming off a year where his is down qite a bit in basically every stat at his position, would it be a greater chance to have him slip out now or will they still franchise him?

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Apparently Bill Polian has said they will franchise him if they can't get a longterm deal with him. I'm not sure the feeling has changed just because of 1 SB ring.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I'm growing much more luke warm about getting Freeney anyway. He basically got dominated in the SB on a slow wet field and didn't fair much better against the Pats in their dome. I'm not sure if he has lost a step or what but I'd prefer the Colts spend a ton of money to keep him.

4. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

well... i guess where just gonna have to wait and see what happens.. hopefully he gets out of indy.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

We're kind of in a win-win situation...

Scenario 1 - I've read the Colts have a little less than $5mil of cap for next season (and that does NOT include their unrestricted free agents). So to keep Freeney, they NEED him to sign a contract that is initially cap friendly with a low base and bonuses spread out over the next 3 seasons. If Freeney is smart, he'd NEVER agree to this deal. Why? First, he'd have to take way less money to stay and second, if he doesn't have a good year next year the Colts could still use him next season and then cut him. But let's say this comes to pass...Freeney figures the money given to him is 'enough' (you'll never get that from Manning) and that he feels the Colts are his best option of getting several rings. Capwise, the Colts will need to either cut some guys even with Freeney signing as generous a cap deal contract as could be (meaning they will have a bunch of rookies starting or as prime backups) or they'll start re-structuring contracts. Very quickly, they will end up in cap hell due to the size of these contracts or continually play more and more rookies til they start jettisoning the Marvin Harrisons (aging Superstars).

Realistically, Freeney should be making at least $8mil a year. With a serious bonus, it's hard to imagine him getting a cap hit of less than $5mil. That means they have to let go all their other free agents AND free up another 4mil for the incoming draft class. And with them heading towards cap hell...I won't be crying if they keep him.

Scenario 2 - Freeney's agent actually looks at the situation...Freeney is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL and in his prime, the Colts don't have enough money to franchise him, and if he hits the open market, he would probably sign the largest non-qb contract in NFL history since everyone needs him and the most teams have the most money ever available in free agency. Can you say bidding war?

If Freeney's willing to give up millions and millions of dollars (that Manning's not willing to give up) to stay with the team, he'll stay. If he wants the big bucks, the Colts will have a very hard time trying to franchise him without wrecking their team!

Can you say win-win? I can!

Gut

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

dolts done said they will franchise him for 2007

7. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

I can't wait until the day the colts go through their salary cap purge..........Gayton will probably retire. C-ya you little fairy.

8. joelmunroe

joelmunroe Camp Fodder

excellent post gut, the way the win - win situation plays out looks to be great for the titans for the next few years. the quicker the colts blow up the quicker we are on top again.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Cutler,

The colts won't lose as many players as we did because they won't mismanage the cap as badly. They lost one of the best RBs in football and a quality starting linebacker and won the super bowl anyway.

The colts have had a winning season with a playoff appearence in 7 of the last 8 seasons. You would think that would have happened already. Maybe they are just a better organization with better management and coaching.

The colts will always have manning, harrison and wayne signed to long term deals. They won't lose more than 3 starting players from this year most likely harper, june and a starting o-lineman. In most cases they have a good young player ready to step in..

You are free to have your childish opinion never the less.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gut...

Freeney was probably their most disappointing player in the post season. He had just 5.5 sacks this year.

Cato june might be more important to this defense from a value perspective especially if they lose gardner and since there are more quality DEs in this draft they may cut him lose. Mathis could move over to the weak side and they could use their first pick on a guy like carriker or abiamiri to play in mathis' place...

I think manning and harrison may be willing to make some adjustments to keep some guys like june but with the colts they just seem to be able to plug guys in and they play. Nick harper goes out and his replacement gets an int for a TD. Are colts fans fretting the lose of harper?

They lose thornton, he's replaced by gardner, they lose gardner to injury and put in rob morris in. Did it matter? They lost mike doss to a season ending injury, when sanders comes back the rookie bethea moves over to SS. Did it hurt them? They lost their best DT to injury simon, replaced him with mcfarland.

They always seem to have an answer don't they? They won a super bowl without a third WR. Didn't need one i guess..

Whatever they are doing we need to try and be like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar