Collins our QB of the future?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Speaking of historical player comparisons profootballreference.com just added a new stat for QBs. Seasonal W-L records. Now in a second you can see a QBs career winning percentage in games they started.

Joe namath's record is exactly 500. 63-63-4. God awful for a hall QB. Johnny U has the same number of losses and ties 63 and 4 respectively. But johnny U won almost twice as many games! 119!

2. teegee

teegee Guest

I don't know about that. I just ran Bradshaw's career numbers through the NFL QB rating calculator, and it came up as 70.9. So I think the ratings for the players I quoted have been adjusted for current rules. Below is the link for the NFL QB rating calculator.

NFL passer rating puts the biggest emphasis on completion % and on turnovers. Bradshaw had a low completion % and a bunch of INTs. He also only averaged about 167 pass YPG because the team's run game was so wonderful. So his rating would still be low if he played today (going just off his career #'s -- if he played today it's possible his entire style would be different than it was in the 1970's)

None of this means Collins is a better QB than Bradshaw or Namath -- I'm just pointing out that QB rating isn't a great indicator of how good a QB may be...

http://www.primecomputing.com/

3. teegee

teegee Guest

Yup, but you have to take into account the teams they played on. For instance, everyone says that Archie manning was a great QB. Maybe so (I'm too young to remember having seen him play except for the last few years of his career), but his stats are horrible (55.2 comp. %, 125 TD, 173 INT, 67.1 QB rating) . Even worse, look at his record as a starting QB: 35-101-3!!!! Just going off these stats, I would say he was a horrible QB. But then I look deeper and see he played mainly on absolutely dreadful teams.

So I take into account what teams they played on when I look at W-L records. If they played on perenniel playoff contenders, their record should be way better than if they played on perenniel crappy teams.

4. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

So in a run first offense it makes sense to draft a QB 3rd overall and pay him multi-millions to hand it off? Hmmm

5. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

I really don't think most people regarded manning as a great qb. He was a great college qb and then became a solid qb in the nfl. He's mainly known for his college career and being a great ambassador of the game. And he's also got 2 good sons.

6. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

And rolltide wasn't saying the qb rating has changed but that the change of rules probably would add 15 on their qb rating.

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

So the NFL will understand that these guys are athletes and not QBs....the QB position will start to detioriate and these guys will be drafted with the intent to put them on a field as either a WR or DB. They will be exposed for what they are, runners who excel in space, not QBs.

8. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

It sure worked well with McNair. Hmmm

9. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

So you can't have a good arm and be able to run well too? I don't understand why there is this one-track approach that says either you can run, or you can throw, but you can't do both. There aren't many in the league right now, but that goes back to my original post of it being a new concept colleges are trying.

10. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Vick had a great arm, it's more about mental capacity I think. We won't find it in these guys when they are not students of the game and just streetballers. Essentially, any QB who predicates his whole game from HS to NFL on running the spread option like Pat White and Tim Tebow are not prepared for the NFL, and cannot be counted on to play QB. They get by on their athleticism, and in College, that is OK. At the pro level, it's a little different when you're getting hit by guys like RayRay, PWillis and EJ Henderson. Eventually their bodies will break down quicker than that of a passer, and then what do you have? Someone who can no longer use their strength and now has to throw? See Vince Young, Alex Smith, Omar Jacobs, Eric Crouch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar