Collins our QB of the future?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

The games are different because collins takes chances down the field the whole game and throws a lot of incomplete passes while vince usually just dumps it off. Vince would make 5 bad throws in a game and guys on here would jump on him for 5 bad throws. Collins made probably 10 bad throws today and nothings said (which I don't think anything should be said because qbs make bad throws). Now I don't necessarily think vince gives us a better chance but I don't think there's a vast difference in collins and vince. With vince being our future I just think we should give him the chance if it doesn't hurt our team that much. If collins keeps having sub 80 qb ratings I believe vince will be back in within 4 weeks.

As for no one saying collins is a hall of famer, check out colt killer up there. He's the one who brought up the hall of fame debate and clearly all of us can agree that is not right.

2. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

I guess it is just hard for me to believe Vince can be the QB of our future when there has never been a "running" QB ever succeed in the NFL.

Pocket passing QB's do not pan out from time to time, but "athletic" QB's NEVER do. They succeeded in college because they were faster than defenders - NFL defenders are just as fast, so that advantage is erased.

And I think we can all agree that Vince is FAR from comfortable being a pocket passer. He has never done that in his life.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Which NFL have you been watching?

4. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

You can't determine who is a running QB and who is a pocket passer. Culpepper, McNabb, Vick, Young, all can run, but none of them are very efficient. McNabb is the only one who has developed into a true pocket passer, and he's doing well at it. He also has the necessary tools. Culpepper, while surrounded by Chris Carter and Randy Moss did well, but once you yank those guys away from him, his career sank. Bottom line is: NFL defenses have the whole "running QB" thing figured out. You put a spy on them and force them to throw, thus showing their flaws throwing the ball. Mobile QB's are dead, IMO.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Cunningham and Young.

6. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

I am pretty sure that Culpepper's demise was when he completely destroyed his knee. That really does hurt a running QB. Also, When McNair took us to a Super Bowl, he was a running QB as well. In fact, he got worse, when his running threat was taken away with age and injuries. There is no way you can say a running QB is dead in this league. Now if he can ONLY run and can't throw at all then you have a problem. But putting a spy on a quarterback is a huge advantage because it takes one person out a pass coverage and puts preassure on the defense.

Young needs to be come a better passer, and if he does, he will be a great player because of his ability to run. If teams have to respect him somewhat as a passer, his legs will be a tremendous advantage, more than McNairs ever were.

By the way, I agree that Collins is not that much better than Young at this point. Our offense is not that much more prolific with Collins than Young. And comparing the two this seaon is really not fair. Young played one game, against a Jaguar defense that always plays us tough and Vince struggled, but it was one game. Collins has gotten to play the Bengals, Texans, and Vikings, with on the latter team having a decent defense . . . and his results in each of those games from a statistics point of view were not that much better than Vince's normal production. Was he somewhat better? Yes, but not by leaps and bounds. I could easily see Vince leading us to 4-0 on this season. I do say with stick with Kerry for now, but at some point, I see Vince coming back in and taking over for him.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The hall of fame issue.

I in no way said that collins would be hall caliber even if he met the 2 criteria of 10,000 more passing yards and a ring. However if he met those 2 goals he would be far closer than he is now and may at least get on the ballot.

I was talking about how he sees his career from his own perspective and what drives him. Kerry collins knows that he has been an under achiever and probably hasn't got as much out of his talent as he should have. The potential of maybe being on the hall ballot may drive him. Bledsoe and testeverde never won a ring.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff garcia signed a 2 year $7M deal for the bucs coming off that great season in philly.

An extension to keep collins here 2 more years wouldn't cost much more than that. Who is suggesting we don't give him an extension?

9. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

I am totally for the extension . . . but I say young is still, at this point, the QB of the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar